Help choosing sand for the tank

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Looks good. Will try to find it nearby or LFS.
I found it at a gravel supply. Not sure an LFS will carry. Try a search for sand blasting media.

Reactions: Ruturaj

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Thanks, so larger grain size is better? I assume it's still small enough to not catch dirt in it like gravel does.
Normally it settles on the top of the sand. Unless of you got digger cichlids. They may bury on accident. To prevent any gas buildup all you need to do is probe your figures into the sand, that will release any trapped gas. Do half the tank a month or so. I do it out of precaution due to insane digging fish.20200415_102436.jpg

Most of the sand from the back of the tank he has moved to the front. I have when its flat an inch of sand.

You can use the gravel vac on the sand as well just watch that you don't plug it up.

Reactions: DMD123 and Ruturaj

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Here is my 100g Shellie tank with commercial grade sand. It is only an inch or so deep when level.
Shellie_100g.jpg

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
I never bought the quartz online usually picked it up at a warehouse or distributer. It’s quartz that’s used to mix in the concrete when they build pools. 3M used to make it, then permacolor, color quartz and Estes. It’s usually $25 for a 50lb bag. Their websites usually list where you can buy. Estes has this. Usually there are granular size options. I happen to luck out and found a place by me with a stash of 3M quartz and bought a bunch.
Estes here
As for the torpedo, I went based off size. I like the color too. I usually stick with what’s less likely to float and get into my filters. Obviously everyone has a different experience.

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
This is in one of my old tanks. I have an orange/red mix too.
You got some good suggestions going in here, hopefully you will find what works for you!

42081B49-B005-41B3-BEF5-FD26D8AACF0C.jpeg

Reactions: Ruturaj and Jexnell

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
My favorite sand, in numerous colors. You'd want the floral sand as its made for plant roots. Also takes far less than sand calculators say because of air space between grains. Resembles coarse sugar crystals:

Can make nice mixes too, for texture and poop hiding, lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store