HELP: determine pump size for sump/refugium

Captain tank

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2015
So I have a question, I don't have a sump. But I get this question asked frequently at my work. How do you determine what size pump you need in a refugium/sump? And is it different for saltwater and freshwater?

Red_Man

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2010
Indiana
A pump is determined by how many times you want to turn the tank over. Say you have a 100g tank and want 10x turn over you would need a pump that has 1,000gph output after calculating head loss (the amount of gph you lose pumping from the bottom of the stand up into the tank.) Freshwater guys normally go for 4-10x turn over depending on how much current their tank inhabitants will handle. I'm not a salt guy but I know their flow rates will differ if they have a fish only tank, coral only, or a mix of the two. I do believe that their averages for flow rates are higher however.

Reactions: Woefulrelic

Red_Man

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2010
Indiana
The size of your pump is determined by your overflow. You can't pump more water out of your sump than your overflow is delivering.
Well duh! With proper planning the appropriate overflow can be purchased/assembled once you have determine how much flow you need/want for a setup. Flow rates should be a high priority on the "I want another tank" checklist. Never be afraid of adding an overflow. :D

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Joe hit the main point. I'm assuming most people will have drilled tanks who ask this question so sizing the pump to the overflow us ideal, then after you calculate the flow through the overflow aquire a pump that can handle the intake.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Just a question not a statement.

Is it the overflow or the plumbing/bulkheads within the overflow that dictates gph ?

Or both ?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Both. The weirs on the overflow will only allow water up to a certain rate. Sometimes, people have to start removing teeth on the weir to get high enough flow into the weir.

And HoB overflows have a flow rate, too--you already know that, though.

TRENT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2007
OREGON
On a side note. I think the slower the better to a extent (use common sense no nasty film in sump). This gives the media time to do it's job. Your sump pump shouldn't be your primary water circulation. That's what powerheads are for. I have 300 gallon tank, 120gallon sump with a 900 GPH return pump. Works perfect...... People seem to get carried away with return pumps. Does nothing but waist electricity.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Another consideration for pump size, is the kind of fish you keep.
If you keep fish that live in slow moving environments like lakes or oxbows, discus or angels come to mind, a slower flow pump might be sufficient.
If you keep rheophillic species like Theraps or Retroculus cichlids you might want a much higher flow. I've kept a number of these cichlids, and use 2000+gph hour rates in their tanks, and beyond the extra oxygen, it seems to reduce aggressive tendencies. When I tried keeping them at what might be considered normal aquarium flow rates, aggression became excessive. Higher flows also helped with Maskaheros, and even some Vieja/Paratheraps and Astatheros types.

Or if you keep species that live in the counter current zones where currents clash, or waterfalls hit, such as African Tiger fish or certain species of wolf fish, you might want even more excessive flows aimed to crash together.

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
On a side note. I think the slower the better to a extent (use common sense no nasty film in sump). This gives the media time to do it's job. Your sump pump shouldn't be your primary water circulation. That's what powerheads are for. I have 300 gallon tank, 120gallon sump with a 900 GPH return pump. Works perfect...... People seem to get carried away with return pumps. Does nothing but waist electricity.
T TRENT
This to me is kind of a damned if you do damned if you don't. You spend more money on a return pump and don't need to buy powerheads or spend less money on a pump and spend the money you saved on powerheads. In the end it seems you use about the same amount of hydro

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store