Help!Dull/Dark Coloration of Wild Caught Peacock Bass

P627RR.Cichlamfk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2017
I have a personal Pond in tropical Indonesia. The local pond, or to be precise a golf course man made lake, has established colonies of tilapia, snakehead, pacu, pangasius catfish etc.

A few years ago, I introduced baby Peacock Bass( Cichla Monoculus ) in the 3-5cm range.

Recently, as an angler, I checked upon my harvest and saw incredible success. There were clear signs of breeding; multiple size variations.
Large ones reaching 3kg and 60cm in length, with juveniles(F1) being about 30-35 cm / 20-25cm / 15-20cm in length.

Also as an mfk, I have recaptured plenty of Cichla Monoculus Back along the 30-35cm range. About 30 in total have been caught for research purpose and future aquaria pets.

Once caught, they have the most beautiful coloration and pattern, however, as they are acclimated and brought to the tank, they still have dark colors. Their bright dots and stripes dissapear. Attached are images of these fish which have been in quarantine aquariums for 2 months.

Method of capture is lures & fishing.
Method is 95% guarantee survival rate after 2 months capture.

Questions:
1. Will they have permanent dull/dark coloration?
2. If the coloration will return to bright yellow/ colorful, what is the duration?
3. Suggestions for the decrease in duration for fish coloration?

Please see attached image.
The aquarium image is what they look like after 1 week of capture; color does not change.

Personally, I have had success in keeping my own peacock bass, for several years.
Instagram: @fishfinatic.id

20171226_164255.jpg 20170704_141746.jpg 20170621_110413.jpg

Reactions: Dee eng

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Color is influenced by 1. Lighting 2. Foods such as krill and shrimp bring out red/orange colors. 3 u should use colored backgrounds and substrates (also add some plants) and other decor

hibackgoldaro

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
Toronto, ON
Color is influenced by 1. Lighting 2. Foods such as krill and shrimp bring out red/orange colors. 3 u should use colored backgrounds and substrates (also add some plants) and other decor

these fish don't eat shrimp or krill in the wild and wild ones are fairly colourful...i've raised monos b4 and they turned out beautiful...this was my last one...was sad to let it go years ago..but had to really downsize and sold or gave away most of my collection at the time...

rainbow1.jpg rainbow2.jpg

P627RR.Cichlamfk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2017
I appreciate the response. As mentioned, i have had several cichlas, captive raised since a small size, all below 10cm. I know how to produce the wonderful colors of peacock bass. I have has Cichla Mono, Piquiti, Brokopondo, ocellaris and grew them to be beautiful size.

My main concern is the difference in the coloration of wild caught cichla of a 30cm size, when compared to a captive raises 30cm cichla.

Does the coloration, dark and dull remain due to the stress forever, or is there a period that the colors will return to normal. ?

P627RR.Cichlamfk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2017
these fish don't eat shrimp or krill in the wild and wild ones are fairly colourful...i've raised monos b4 and they turned out beautiful...this was my last one...was sad to let it go years ago..but had to really downsize and sold or gave away most of my collection at the time...

View attachment 1302337 View attachment 1302338
Definitely love the captive raised monos you have. Deep coloration.

Below is my captive raised azul.

DSC06251-01-01-01-01.jpeg

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I appreciate the response. As mentioned, i have had several cichlas, captive raised since a small size, all below 10cm. I know how to produce the wonderful colors of peacock bass. I have has Cichla Mono, Piquiti, Brokopondo, ocellaris and grew them to be beautiful size.

My main concern is the difference in the coloration of wild caught cichla of a 30cm size, when compared to a captive raises 30cm cichla.

Does the coloration, dark and dull remain due to the stress forever, or is there a period that the colors will return to normal. ?
As they get older and aclimated to their surroundings they should gain better color

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store