HELP!! Fish not eating!!

cichlid1080

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
Some where
I have my red top hongi for 2 weeks now and it dousnt want to eat! It takes the food and spits it out and when ever I give food it goes behind the rock. Is mostly stays in the rock and by the filter. What could this be? My water quality is.. ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate around 40.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

runko

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2010
oklahoma
imho i have never put a fish i just got in a established tank.. it could spread disease.. have you tried different types of food? nls? good premium frozen food?

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
I tried different types of food. Tomarrow I will got to my fish store and switch it with a different cichlid.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Somethings stressing it, maybe a bully in the tank? The fish will eat eventually, id wait 4-5 days and try again. Trust me it wont die of starvation!

#1 S. Vettel

everlastace

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2011
Utah
A healthy fish won't starve itself if food is present. If he isn't showing any signs of disease or anything, give him time. I have a baby (1") black calvus that did the same thing for a week or two. Spit food out as soon as it took it in. So in an attempt to help him, I put my white calvus in with him hoping that it would "teach" him to eat. Worked like a charm. Real fat and happy now. Just give it some time, he'll figure it out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store