Help for my two albino channel cats !!!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
As advised by Silurus on PCF, yes, they are Ictalurus punctatus http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=6

You've learned a lot with these fish and you deserve many praises for your dedication and honesty and openness.

I agree with Wednesday13 for sure. They can live 20 years and easily more. Your 250 L tank is not enough if you aim for their best. 100 gal tank is not either, not even close. Think more of at least 1000 gal (US or UK :) ). If you can't give them that, I am afraid you have to find a different proper home for them. UK climate is close to their native range, so an outdoor pond would appear much more likely to find than a large enough tank. Just make sure to follow the local laws. I imagine, since this fish is an exotic to UK, it should be confined in a lawful way in any outdoor pond (if permitted to be placed outdoors at all). Indoor pond is ideal.

sonicboom81

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2013
United Kingdom
Thanks. I've been looking into a 100G tank, but yeah I know it's not going to be big enough. I live in Aberdeen up north in the UK, and I think that the temperature here in the winter would be too cold for them outside, but I'm not sure. It often less than 0C in winter.

I think what I might need to do now is find them a new home, and if no one takes them from me straight off I'll get a new tank ordered for their temporary home.

I'll be sad to see them go, but I do want them to go to a good home and enjoy their lives :)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Their natural range includes northern USA and southern Canada. They are built to handle being under ice for 4-6 months. If the pond is a small one, it simply needs to be deep enough not to freeze all the way through and have a breather hole open - a simple bubbler or a small powerhead/fountain pump can do that. Heaters are too expensive to run but do a good job of that too.

Pole

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
Here
Thanks. I've been looking into a 100G tank, but yeah I know it's not going to be big enough. I live in Aberdeen up north in the UK, and I think that the temperature here in the winter would be too cold for them outside, but I'm not sure. It often less than 0C in winter.

I think what I might need to do now is find them a new home, and if no one takes them from me straight off I'll get a new tank ordered for their temporary home.

I'll be sad to see them go, but I do want them to go to a good home and enjoy their lives :)
these fish will be perfectly fine in that cold. I would stab myself if I had to give away two fish which I had for 13 years. getting an outdoor pond is a priority. if not, give them to someone local with a good sized pond or tank, and make sure to visit the tank/pond they will be kept in. then because they would be local to you, you could visit those fish. I hope im not too late.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
these fish will be perfectly fine in that cold. I would stab myself if I had to give away two fish which I had for 13 years. getting an outdoor pond is a priority. if not, give them to someone local with a good sized pond or tank, and make sure to visit the tank/pond they will be kept in. then because they would be local to you, you could visit those fish. I hope im not too late.
For what? LOLOL You constantly crack me up.

sonicboom81

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2013
United Kingdom
I'm happy to say these catfish are shortly going to a public aquarium into a large tank, with another albino cat and other big fish. They have indeed kept growing since getting a larger tank; I've split them up into separate tanks because of fighting.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Excellent news. Yes, they may fight in small tanks, depending on their sexes and temperaments, after sexual maturity. There is a reason adults are mostly solitary in the wild.

sonicboom81

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2013
United Kingdom
fishinTANK.jpg

I took one down to the aquarium today - the other one is waiting for it's nose to get better - after a few minutes of hiding at the side, he was off swimming amongst the other fish - he's gone from his temporary tank of 3ft by himself (I had to split them up, and he got the old tank) to a 30,000/40,000 litre open tank with a huge floor space with catfish and other fish much bigger than him. I'm really happy he's there now, and I'm able to visit when I want to :)

I hope he grows huge, and fingers crossed my other cat gets to join him soon!

fishinTANK.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store