HELP! I think my fish have ich!!

bes2534

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
One of my guppies started acting strange 2 days ago. I noticed that it has a few very tiny white spots on its body and the edges of its tail. Just today, one of my female guppies has been acting the same way and has two very small white spots on the edge of her tail...I'm afraid its ich!

I began treating the tank with Rid Ich+ by Kordon. Is this a good product to use? And is it likely that these fish will die regardless of treatment? I don't want it to spread to the rest of my fish!

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
just bump the temp to 80 to 85 degree's and add more air to the tank, and you'll be set.
Rid Ich+ by Kordon is good, i use it on my catfish tank....but they hardly get ich cause the temp is set at 82 degree's.

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
you'll be fine just raise the temp and make sure the water stay airated

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
add a little salt (around 2-3 tsp per gallons) it will take a couple day for it to clear up so don't worry if it doesn't go away right away

bes2534

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
The white seems to be mainly at the edges of the fins, and the male looks a little thinner? Does this sound like symptoms of ich or something else?

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
bes2534;1938391; said:
The white seems to be mainly at the edges of the fins, and the male looks a little thinner? Does this sound like symptoms of ich or something else?
No. Do you have pics? Thinning out appears to be intestinal parasites.

For ich cases, once ich is already in the tank, all inhabitants must be treated as ich can also reside in gill tissues which means there is also no point treating fish with white spots separately just for future reference. All your fish are already infested.

If I were you, simply use table salt by a tablespoon per 5g and increase temperature to as much as the fish can tolerate, preferably 84-86 degrees Fahrenheit.

pcfriedrich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
North Central Florida
Ich cannot tolerate temps over 84 degrees. the salt will also kill it. ick primarily infects a tank and then infects the fish. it goes through the parasitic cycle, then freeswimming, which is when it reproduces. its a 10 day lifecycle, so keep temp up and salt in the water for at least two weeks, just to be safe.

I always use salt in my tanks, its good for their gill function and slime coats, as well as the ick-killing benefits.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store