Help identify payara

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Based on the lack of white edging on the tail and anal fins, more streamlined/less bulky body and reddish/orange fins it's a Tat/Hydrolycus tatauaia. Your signature says you have a Redtail Payara in a I think the160 gallon bowfront. Is that the same fish listed in your signature the one pictured? Are you looking for confirmation?

GrindeL89

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2009
St.Catharines
No that tat died 13 years ago just came back to I'd this one for sale.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
No that tat died 13 years ago just came back to I'd this one for sale.
Sorry to hear that. I hope you have better luck with this guy. I love Payara, interestingly I've had Armatus, Scombs and Vulpinus but never kept a Tat. That is your pic? Just asking because I'm wondering if the SD is the only tankmate.

GrindeL89

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2009
St.Catharines
No idea what mates the seller has with him I haven't seen them in person just wanted to I'd the fish before I make the long drive to buy him. Definitely don't want to end up bringing home a armatus by mistake and scrambling around in 5 months trying to find it a forever home.

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
I've an 8" Tattuaia and an 8" Armatus and that looks identical to my tatt. Having both in my tank they are easily distinguishable on the tail, adipose fin and the shape is a bit different.

Lovely fish, easy to feed mine lives with rays, arowana, fire eel, peacock bass

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store