Help Identifying Texas

joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
Hi,

I read up that there's different types of texas, such as green and blue?

I was wondering if you could help identify mine as I'm not sure what he is?

image.jpeg

joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
Looks like a hybrid possible Red Texas hybrid.
Really? There is alot of red in the fins, but i've noticed that he seems to show a orange/red pearl outline aswell. He is a darker blue colour all over though. Do you think it's possible blue texas x red devil/midas/terror?

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Really? There is alot of red in the fins, but i've noticed that he seems to show a orange/red pearl outline aswell. He is a darker blue colour all over though. Do you think it's possible blue texas x red devil/midas/terror?
Hard to say what the genetics are but thats a good guess any of those can play a part.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I think it looks like a hybrid too.

joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
I think it looks like a hybrid too.
Thanks for the reply. Just through curosity what makes you think that? Any idea what cross?

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Thanks for the reply. Just through curosity what makes you think that? Any idea what cross?
Many use Texas and blood parrot because it needs the fading gene since blood parrots get theirs from Midas. I've seen red Texas from blood parrots, Midas, Red Devils and red mammons.

You can clearly see the orange red hue behind the scales meaning it might be fading soon

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Also looks like a female the black extends to the dorsal fin which is typical of a female. That's not always the case but a good indication

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although "Texas" seems to be a catch-all term for the genus Herichthys, in truth there is only one true Texas cichlid, and it is cyannoguttatus (the only one of the genus endemic to Texas).
I've seen carpintus, tamasopoensus, and even minckleyi erroneously thrown into the term "Texas cichlid", I suppose because they look similar and are the same genus.
Most people can't tell them apart, and expecting a serious ID from a photo is not realistic.

above is a Herichthys carpintus location Chairel
below a pair of Herichthys tamasopoensus preparing to spawn

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store