Help me cure an extremely skinny Port Acara

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Ryansmith83, I don't suppose you have a picture of that Port Acara you had do you?
Here he is. He's certainly not emaciated or anything, but he did have a really concave look to his belly. It's hard to see because his pelvic fins are in the way.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Yeah, the one I'm going to get is MUCH more sunken. I don't know if I can help him, but I'll give it try.

And RD, yes I planned to also use the epsom salt soaked food. I have used if before for other fish. Any reason I could not do it at the same time as the Levamisole?

Here he is. He's certainly not emaciated or anything, but he did have a really concave look to his belly. It's hard to see because his pelvic fins are in the way.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
The fish will sometimes quit eating during and shortly after the levamisole treatment. It'd be best to do the levamisole treatment first. It stays in the water 24 hours. Then do a massive water change to remove all the medication after 24 hours and resume feeding. It's normal if he has no appetite for a day or two. Sometimes when I've treated cichlids they eat right away, sometimes they don't. Depends on the fish. Once they resume eating then use the Epsom salt treatment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store