Help me decide my stock!

wrslrcichlid

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Battle Creek, MI
It really is not difficult at all to mess with pH. The key is to not use chemicals to change the pH or buffer your aquarium. Instead use a crushed gravel substrate (or put crushed gravel in your sump or something). Also, in reality your tap water is probably fine for the african cichlids you are going to get. Unless you are getting wild caught fish the pH is not as big of a deal, just make sure you keep it constant.

I would test your pH out of the tap and see what it is. If it is 7 or higher than you could definitely do african cichlids, and not even have to worry about increasing pH or buffering at all. Ideally, you would get it closer to 8-9 using crushed coral, but not necessarily with aquarium bred/raised african cichlids.

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
You could do a gt, the butti and jag get to big for a 75 and both are very hostile fish. If you want a community try something along the lines of a firemouth,rainbow cichlids,convict, or a JD every thing before the JD stays below 6 inches and can be in communities

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Daonni

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
nh
I like this option if you can get them. Make sure you have excellent filtration,oscars are so messy and **** like a human.

Sent from my LG-L38C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

sidman24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2013
Ohio
So are there any african chiclids with personality ??? And what about a blood parrot with the Africans? I know a lot of people oppose them because they are hybrid... But I read so many good stories about them!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
So are there any african chiclids with personality ??? And what about a blood parrot with the Africans? I know a lot of people oppose them because they are hybrid... But I read so many good stories about them!

Blood parrots do have little personalities but I'd worry that they would get picked on by the Africans

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

sidman24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2013
Ohio
So you guys are saying my ph should be fine with at least a 7 on up for Africans as long as they are from a pet store??? I guess this is just a issue people disagree on

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
So you guys are saying my ph should be fine with at least a 7 on up for Africans as long as they are from a pet store??? I guess this is just a issue people disagree on

Yes they will be fine. Perfectly fine. You're gonna do more harm than good messing with ph. If you have wild caught discus that you're trying to breed, then worry about ph. But cichlids you buy at Petsmart will be fine as long as the ph isn't at an extreme.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
Yes they will be fine. Perfectly fine. You're gonna do more harm than good messing with ph. If you have wild caught discus that you're trying to breed, then worry about ph. But cichlids you buy at Petsmart will be fine as long as the ph isn't at an extreme.

Exactly the point....no need for manipulating the ph if you're going with Petsmart Florida-bred Africans. About mixing African with new world, in a larger tank I've never had issue with haps mixed with smallish central americans and even some south americans. The worry is aggression issues not ph

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store