Help me legalize the importation of the asian arowana!!!!

How many years?

• One

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • Two

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • Three

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Four

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Five

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Other; please specify w/ justification.

Votes: 12 24.5%

• Total voters

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
blackwolfXKAV;585584; said:
So what you are saying, is that, in theory, this could not be approved and placed into affect by the "US Senate"?
It would be highly unlikely that the Legislature would touch something that has already been delegated to the USFWS and NMFS, particularly when it involves a single species and not the implementation of the ESA as a whole. Keep in mind, you're trying to change USFWS listing of the Asian arowana and its regulations and policy governing its importation, not statutory framework of the ESA.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
its not up to the USA is it? i don't think you'll get a lifted "ban" for a while. i hate to say it, but i doubt a petition would solve a lot

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
davo;585726; said:
its not up to the USA is it?
As a practical matter, yes. The Asian arowana is internationally regulated under CITES Appendix I, but you can import them into most countries, but not the U.S., as long as they are captive bred individuals bearing proper CITES documentation. The key regulatory difference between the U.S. and most other countries is the listing of the Asian arowana under the U.S. Endangered Species Act.

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
Its up to the USFWS to remove them from the list and they have no intention of doing so anytime soon.At least till a study is done and claims they are no longer endangered in thier native ranges-Anne

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
so the reason i can own one is just because the government of the UK, or EU, allows them to be exported into our country?

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
hillbilly;585856; said:
It's unlikely Asians will ever be legal to keep in the United States.
If you want better laws, write me in for next President. I will legalize the Asian Arowana, utilize the death penalty for people who dump aquarium fish into public waters, and herd all poor people into camps. The side effect will be nuclear weapons launch on rogue countries when I have a bad day.

FishSkins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2006
mother earth
ewurm;585886; said:
If you want better laws, write me in for next President. I will legalize the Asian Arowana, utilize the death penalty for people who dump aquarium fish into public waters, and herd all poor people into camps. The side effect will be nuclear weapons launch on rogue countries when I have a bad day.
Mr Bush is that you?

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Davo - the reason you can keep one and a US member can't is that the USFish and Wildlife has prohibited any animal on our endangered species list to be brought in - which they fall under. They will not lift that regulation until it can be proven that the sustained wild population is high enough to remove it from the endangered species list. Sadly, nothing is being done to restock them in the wild. And until such a time, a US keeper won't be able to keep them legally.

CITES has them listed as App I - but that still allows trade of correctly documented captive born animals across international borders. We're just regulated beyond that.

AroW

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2005
Lightspeed
Who needs legalization

If you got the cash you can always get them, especially in california

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store