Help me pick new fluorescent bulbs!

magic

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2005
East Bay
So I have a 2 bulb 48" T12 fixture over my aquarium. I currently have two 40 watt "universal" bulbs 3150 lumens 4100k. They aren't too bad, and were super cheap (2 for $5), but I do desire better lights. These don't seem any brighter than my old 20 watt lights and the light looks "yellower"

SO what T12 bulbs, that aren't crazy expensive, would you recommend to make my aquarium look better?

Here are the options at my local ACE (click on it for specs):

GE Plant & Aquarium

GE Kitchen & Bath

GE Daylight

GE Sunshine

Would any of the bulbs above be worth paying more for? (about $10 each)
Thanks so much!! :thumbsup:

ullysses

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
I would go the GE Daylight, i would expect the others to give of a slightly yellower light.
3000k will give you light similar to a normal halogen car headlight.
4700 is what you see in the BMW and Merc zenon headlights.
6000 willl give you a slight blue to neutral colored light.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Any plants in the tank or just fish? The bulbs you list are a plant bulb, warm white bulb, cool white bulb, and a full spectrum bulb. You can use two of the plant and aquarium bulbs, two of the sunshine bulbs, a combination of one plant and aquarium bulb and one sunshine bulb, or a combination of one warm white bulb and one cool white bulb.

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
I prefer the higher K bulbs, Daylight is my fist choice(6500K) followed by sunshine at about 4700k. The others are yellower and tanks just don't look 'right' in yellow hues.

Question though... Why not upgrade the ballasts and run T8's while your at it? They are less expensive to run with better output per watt. I have been web carpeting lately trying to light a planted 35 hex (20" fixtures are very limited!)- so my thoughts on this subject are fresh... T8's are a good compromise between efficiency and output vs cost for fish only tanks.

I upgraded a different HomeDepot 48" T12 shoplight fixture with a new ballast to run T8's-pretty straight forward.

PM for more info if you need details.

magic

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2005
East Bay
Thanks guys for your opinions on this. I was kinda thinking the higher K would look better. Forgot to mention NO plants, just fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store