Help me with my used aquarium, please.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
x2 to GE Silicone I

It can be found at just about any hardware store, I've got it in 2 of my 3 tanks and can vouch for its effectiveness. Like stated before, make sure to steer clear of GE Silicone II, it has a mold inhibitor that has been known to cause adverse effects in tank water.

fishyfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Virginia Beach, VA
Yup, I don't want that II stuff! The guy that I got this tank from evidently used the II and it is what has been poisoning my fish.

I would think that scraping it off and putting new sealant would stop the problem, but after so many fish deaths I am concerned that the tank is ruined. I hope not.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
I doubt that. not much will stick to glass. cut out the old, replace with a safe silicone and wipe down while rinsing well and I don't forsee any problems.

fishyfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Virginia Beach, VA
It has only been resealed along the bottom and that was all under sand. I don't know what was wrong but it is the ONLY tank that I have that has had problems. It didn't matter if it was a SE Asia tank with barbs, an amazon tank with tetras, or goldfish. Each set up would last and do good and then the fish would start dying and once that started then nothing seemed to stabilize it. I don't get it and neither does anyone else. I am grasping at straws here, I know. If you have any ideas I am all ears!

harleyboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2013
saskatoon sk. canada
I would bleach tank and everything in it and start over before resealing it. The reason I mention the silicone killing fish within days as I resealed a tank with Ge 1 and was told by a fish guy to wait to weeks for it to be fish safe. Well I didn't wait cycled tank with seeded gravel filters and water after 24 hours dry time dropped In a few feeders they died within two days continued like this for two weeks I just think if silicone was the cause of poisoning them I just think it would happen faster

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fishyfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Virginia Beach, VA
Good point. I don't know what the H E double hockey sticks went wrong. My LFS said that I should go home and check to see if the tank had been resealed because it sounded to them like slow poisoning. I went home and looked and all visible seams were factory but when I took the sand out, sure enough, it had been resealed.
Maybe yours happened faster because of the curing process and because it was all the seams? With mine it would be a case of fungicide leaching.

Who knows?:crazy: It has been driving me nuts trying to get to the bottom of it all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store