Help my arowana is dying

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
tony to help you and your fish right off the bat, pristine water is the best thing you can do for your fish, do a fin level water change, do nothing else. do not touch your filters, let em run,
and then read up. that guy will not live long in a 10g, so best be looking to a 240, in the mean time every day is a fin level water change, or 90%.

any info you have other tanks, size, stalk would be a great help along with water change schedule, and please I highly suggest getting an API Master Fresh Water Test Kit so you know ware your perams are running and when to do water changes.
Oh yeah, I didn't mention any of this... Thank pops! :)

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
regretfully, 95% of the time, folks issues with there fish is water quality, you hear, I change 30% a week, I change 50% a week, or every 2 weeks and bla bla bla, along with that is my water is crystal clear. crystal clear water has probably killed more fish than dirty looking water, folks think the water is crystal clear so it has to be good, this is wrong wrong wrong.

then you get the changing to much water at once is bad for your fish, bull crap.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
regretfully, 95% of the time, folks issues with there fish is water quality, you hear, I change 30% a week, I change 50% a week, or every 2 weeks and bla bla bla, along with that is my water is crystal clear. crystal clear water has probably killed more fish than dirty looking water, folks think the water is crystal clear so it has to be good, this is wrong wrong wrong.

then you get the changing to much water at once is bad for your fish, bull crap.
The whole "my water is clear" thing really bugs me... Its like "so is hydrochloric acid but you wouldn't expect your fish to live in that!" Same with the "changing to much water" bullcrap, its like "when did a fish ever die from clean water???"

Sorry, I'll stop my rant before it begins. :p

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I fin level change all my tanks every week. and every 3 weeks do a 180% change. just meaning after I fill I drain again to fin level and fill again. controls the creep that comes from not being able to do a 100% water change.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
ya, the rant can go on and on, IMHO, the argument is made by folks that do not want to put the effort needed and want to justify there actions. these same folks are the one arguing after asking for help with there fish.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I fin level change all my tanks every week. and every 3 weeks do a 180% change. just meaning after I fill I drain again to fin level and fill again. controls the creep that comes from not being able to do a 100% water change.
I will admit I'm not THAT dedicated unless I have an old fish.. However unlike most I test my nitrate and pH before and after every change, and if I get any more than 5-10ppm back after the change, the tank gets booked in for another 50-60% the next day.

Its all about the readings in a little test tube. :)

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I only test every 3 months or so these days, just to make sure nothing changed or got past me. some tank do not need it, makes no dif, keep to schedule wither needed or not, same for tank maintenance/filter maintenance, if you have waited till its needed, you have waited to long.

And we are creatures of habit, break the habit once, and you will break it again and before you know it that will become the habit.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
and I can not tell you how frustrated I get with these folks that say, "I have X amount of filtration so do not need to change my water as often or that amount'" 1 filter or 15, chemistry the same.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
and I can not tell you how frustrated I get with these folks that say, "I have X amount of filtration so do not need to change my water as often or that amount'" 1 filter or 15, chemistry the same.
Don't get me started, we'll be here all night haha

Thanks for using your time to help me! It means a lot!
How are you going with your googling? Have you worked out the problem? :)

THHoang4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2016
tony to help you and your fish right off the bat, pristine water is the best thing you can do for your fish, do a fin level water change, do nothing else. do not touch your filters, let em run,
and then read up. that guy will not live long in a 10g, so best be looking to a 240, in the mean time every day is a fin level water change, or 90%.

any info you have other tanks, size, stalk would be a great help along with water change schedule, and please I highly suggest getting an API Master Fresh Water Test Kit so you know ware your perams are running and when to do water changes.
Thanks for the help he's doing fine now, sorry for freaking out

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store