HELP! My striped gar won't eat.

KandBfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2016
I have a new small striped gar (about 3 in) we got him a couple days ago and he hasn't eaten, we got him straight from import and acclimated to our tank we've put frozen bloodworms, live black worms and frozen krill none of which he ate I know it's not the water cause we've gotten it tested and he's alone (separated by a tank divider in a 55 gal) right now cause we didn't want our two small oscars to stress him out. Is there cause for concern or is he just stressed by the move.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Probably still getting used to the tank. I'm assuming striped gar maybe a striped pike characin. Post a pic so can help and ID.

Most of those guys are fed live feeders. Even when imported in from elsewhere. Easy to feed till sold.

Wait for now. Get some floating plants and it should be fine. Give it a couple of days. Little pain in the butt to feed but can be broken to take prepared foods.

KandBfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2016
He's in with some minnows now to see if he'll eat them while we aren't stressing him out by trying to get him to take food.

image.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Yes...striped pike characins.

It's used to eating live food. Shouldn't be too hard to break.

KandBfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2016
sadly we woke up this morning and he had died we aren't quite sure why, do you have any suggestions to what we did wrong

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Lot of times it's due to stress. They are a nervous fish. Notorious for getting Ich. They are sensitive to water as well. Needing soft acidic water. If ur lfs water is bad and the acclimation process didn't go well then this can result. But also known for banging into glass. Not sure as ur fish looked fine in the photos. The travel from wild to lfs can be tough. They are all wild caught black water fish. Hows ur water? Is the tank cycled? What's the numbers on ammonia, nitrates, ph etc?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Sorry for the loss!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store