HELP!!!!!MY TANK BROKE

trueblue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2007
texas
I have a 240 gallon tank that the front piece of glass broke. I called LFS a they priced a new aquarium and it was more than it would cost me to replace the stand and tank combined. Does anyone know how to fix it or any one that can fix it?

likestofish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
Duluth, GA
those the warrenty still cover it? if not go look for tempered glass panels to the size you need it to be and silicone it back on.

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
I would say just use a box cutter to cut the silicone then peal off what is left on what is staying and then place a new piece of glass and re-silicone.

terd ferguson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2007
Concord, NC
Google "resealing aquarium" and you'll get dozens of tutorials on how to do it. I did it on my 190 when my neighbor dropped his end helping me carry it in my house. It's really not as difficult as it sounds.

PM me and I can walk you through it. :)

Arizonagrace

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2007
Pennsylvania
I really hope you can fix your tank. I have never tried a repair on a tank myself. I did find good deals on acrylic tanks at glasscages.com

brcacti

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2007
Arizona
Did you have styrofoam between the aquarium and stand????????????????????????????????????????/

ercnan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2006
The End Of The Yellow Brick Road
Check the local glass shop for a replacement pane.

cichlids _killer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2008
northside of da chi
brcacti;1753237; said:
Did you have styrofoam between the aquarium and stand????????????????????????????????????????/
whats that gonna do ? does that help? im just curious

terd ferguson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2007
Concord, NC
cichlids _killer;1753879; said:
whats that gonna do ? does that help? im just curious
No stand or tank frame is perfectly flat. Not being perfectly flat will cause more pressure in certain spots. The foam will help even out any small irregularities in the top of your stand or tank frame. These small irregularities will over time stress your seals and cause a failure. It keeps the pressure even on the entire bottom of your tank. I use 1/2" Dow Insulation foam. Lowes or Home Depot sells it in 4x8 sheets like plywood for around $20 or less. You can also go thicker if you have a super big tank.

Here's the product I'm talking about...
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=15348-46086-15348&lpage=none

***EDITED TO ADD***
PM's inbound to thread author with help and advice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store