help... one problem after another

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
You could TRY Tetra Safe Start. I was very impressed with it. I bought from my LFS, they swear by it. Also, they say they keep it refrigerated even though Tetra says it's not required. I just gotta ask.....6 peacock bass in a 60 gallon tank? How big do p-bass get?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Adding established "media" will only increase your chance of introducing diseases and such to your tank. Like I said, do a daily 50% water chance for the next 4-5 days, then you should be able to decrease the daily water changes to 25% for the next several weeks to let your bio-wheels established the necessary bacterias. Check your water parameters at least every few days to get an idea of how the BB are developing. Be patient and doing things right from the getgo would of saved you from the headaches of your current issues.
Hello; Are you sure about this? I have used media from healthy established tanks to set up new tanks many times. An established tank with no disease issues should not infect a new setup with disease.

In the case of the OP's new setup there is already a crisis of too heavy stocking in tank without a good population of beneficial bacteria (bb). The pond material should have populations of bb and should help in getting the new tank cycled.

The OP appears to have put too many fish in the new tank setup too soon. The quick setup chemicals seem to not have worked in this case.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
"Hello; Are you sure about this? I have used media from healthy established tanks to set up new tanks many times. An established tank with no disease issues should not infect a new setup with disease." skjl47

That's fine as long as your confident where your media is coming from. I used established media from tank to tank, but these are my tanks. He's getting his from a pond and from lfs. I don't really put a lot of confidence from my lfs. My point is that, yes, it will work but you stand to introduce disease(s) from unknown sources.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
"Hello; Are you sure about this? I have used media from healthy established tanks to set up new tanks many times. An established tank with no disease issues should not infect a new setup with disease." skjl47

That's fine as long as your confident where your media is coming from. I used established media from tank to tank, but these are my tanks. He's getting his from a pond and from lfs. I don't really put a lot of confidence from my lfs. My point is that, yes, it will work but you stand to introduce disease(s) from unknown sources.
Hello; Understood, thanks for the additional input.

ChrisM101

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
Paris, AR,United States
Definitely would not hurt to dose with atleast double doses of prime at water changes and id also recommend safe start or a bacterial additive atleast weekly while changing out that much water.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store