Help Please

andrew88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2007
Saginaw, Michigan
So two nights ago i was walking through the lfs and i found a really nice looking albino Oscar he is about 3.5 inches long. So i Picked him up. He Went into a 55g That had a 2in FireMouth And a 3in FlowerHorn. At First everything was fine but soon the FlowerHorn Turned really aggressive. Now the Oscars Missing Scales and His Fins are a little ragged now. So I Changed the tank decor around And it helped a lil bit but not much. Is there anything else i can try that would bring the aggression level down? OR Would it be a good idea to take the oscar out. Ill Post Pictures of the FlowerHorn and Oscar when i find my Camera cord. :help2:

MHcblues119

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Essex, New Jersey
Take the flowerhorn out of the tank and put him in a 10g somewhere else....

Re arrange decor....Lots of tall plants so sight is blocked...etc.....

In bout a week or so when the Oscar and firemouth get their own territories then acclimate the FH back into the 55g....if alll does not go well either get another tank or pick which on u will get ride of....think of upgrade in the near future?

kgby13

Candiru
MFK Member
May 30, 2007
Texas
MHcblues119;1486447; said:
Take the flowerhorn out of the tank and put him in a 10g somewhere else....

Re arrange decor....Lots of tall plants so sight is blocked...etc.....

In bout a week or so when the Oscar and firemouth get their own territories then acclimate the FH back into the 55g....if alll does not go well either get another tank or pick which on u will get ride of....think of upgrade in the near future?
That will work in the short run (I did it when my Cons beat up the BP) but eventullay you'll need a bigger tank (you knew this though) or youll only have a FH.

andrew88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2007
Saginaw, Michigan
So i tried your guyz ideas and it didnt work. The FLowerHorn was still aggressive toward the oscar. So i decided to take the oscar back to the LFS today . Would it be a good idea to just keep the tank as is with the FLowerhorn and the FireMouth? or try and find a more hardy tank mate then an Oscar?

LextacySC

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
Colorado
Once that flower horn grows a bit, you wont be able to keep anything with it. They're really nasty and territorial IMO. The 55 is also the bare minimum for one flower horn. I would keep it the way it is, if everything is working.

Albino Oscar lver

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2008
Florida
well i happen have albino oscars and 1 iz 4 inches and the other 3 inches my advice is try a devider and when the oscar iz heeled and big enough 2 stand up to da fh let them settle there domanence

scubasteve06

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2008
SC
youtube.com
Oscars are pretty hardy, but FH's are a little hardier :). That FH would rule that tank no matter what fish goes in there.

Steve p

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2007
Bristol UK
Albino Oscar lver;1508059; said:
well i happen have albino oscars and 1 iz 4 inches and the other 3 inches my advice is try a devider and when the oscar iz heeled and big enough 2 stand up to da fh let them settle there domanence
No matter how big the oscar gets it will never be a match for the FH.

FSM

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Georgia
Yeah, and the flowerhorn will outgrow the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store