Help please?

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
Hey,

So I want to say easily 3+weeks ago I bought some live rock. I put it into a 15 gal tank as it's not cured so I wanted to avoid the break down in my current main tank (As it has a fish and some inverts along with a bit of live rock). I have kept it in the 15gal for at least 3 weeks now (I think longer).I figured at this point it should be ok to put into my tank.. I did have a spike with things but figured when I tested it this time it would be ok... not so much.

nitrite 0
ammonia 0
nitrate close to 20
phosphate...very high between 2 and 5
dKh is off chart at 15...
Calcium is 440.

I used the same water for this tank as my big tank but phosphate readings are very different in both tanks so is the dKH any ideas? I did use different salt this time on the 15 gal .. (used petco salt... I use instant ocean on the 30gal main tank, used different salt because I didnt have instant ocean at the time but I did have petco salt. I didnt think much of it at the time but now I am thinking that was prob not so good of an idea). I am still new at this so I am not sure what to do at this point other then a water change. Should I not add this rock to my 30gal set up yet? I am thinking it would be a bad idea to add it now as the 30gal is stable. I also have 20lbs of the rock in the 15gal. As for the nitrate do you think thats just it spiking still?

I was also wondering when it comes time for me to add this rock into the main tank would it be a better idea to add it piece by piece? (slow seems to be good). At this point would it also be a good idea to add to my cleaner crew? (I have 3 hermits and 4 nassairus snails), if so what would be good to add to a tank that will also house fish and soft corals?

Mr_Altepeter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2010
Pittsburgh
Ash, Not too sure about the salt. However, I would recommend going with a larger cleaner crew. So far in the research I have done, I am seeing roughly 2 per gallon, for cleaners. Also, you might want to check out garf.org for ideas with the setup etc. they seem to know what they are talking about. IMO SLOW is best with reef tanks. "Only bad things happen fast with a Reef tank"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store