[Help] Stingray eye injury or disease?

thegonzo

Feeder Fish
Dec 29, 2023
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hey guys, in a 100 gallon tank, I have a 5" bd hybrid that's in a recovery from cloudy eye and what appears to be a disk rot/whiting of the disk. It's improving so fast in just 2 days with high temp 32 degrees C and salt. He never stopped eating, very active and playful. Tank mate is one other ray and a small koi.

However, this afternoon in an instant, I discovered that his left eye was sunken. I was looking at the tank, his eye was still normal, then I went to take out the trash for 2 mins and when I returned to the tank I discovered his eye was already like that.

My suspicion is that he swam or was startled and hit an overflow box intake at the bottom of the tank (pics below) and hit his eye and the sunken eye is a pain response for him. I waited 20 mins hoping that it would go back but it's still sunken now, so I'm writing here to share this with you guys cos I'm obviously also worried that this could be a disease.

Any similar experience or comment guys? Should I wait it out for a few days and it will probably go back by itself or should I treat this as a sickness? If so, what is this problem and how to fix it? I'm aware of the sunken eye syndrome on other fishes, which is fatal, but I've never known/read any cases on stingrays...

20231227_075225.jpg
normal bulging eye before this happened

20240107_155734.jpg
current state (he's still able to move his left eye, but doesn't seem like he could pop it back out fully)

20240107_160134.jpg
this is the overflow box intake (made of glass), this is where all the water and poop comes in to go to the sump

any kind of help/suggestion would be appreciated!

Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store