danperagine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2018
So friends, I had a Leiarius longbarbis that was sold to me as a Perruno Cat (still havent counted dorsal fins) as a juvenile. Soon after doing my homework shortly after purchasing it I had realized I bought a monster and within a month or 2 I had rehomed him back at the LFS where they have put him in the 180 crammed with every showfish or oversized fish that doesnt fit in their 20 gallon sell tanks. He is now about 10 inches. My current stock on my 75 gallon is one tiger oscar with no tank mates. My plans are to upgrade to a 6 foot tank in the next 2-3 years. I know it wont be ideal but I am teetering with the idea of bringing him home as he is literally pressed up behind a rock blocked by a 16 inch giant pleco with barely a barebell sticking out. I can see he has barely grown an inch since there for the past 3-4 months as well. With these two paired I am almost convinced he would thrive better in my 75 gallon. I love the fish and I know people do this all the time by having 2 feet arowanas in a 55/75 all the time on top of their already heavy stocking. I over filtrate my tank and do weekly gravel vacuums and water changes. My tank I would purchase when I am ready to buy a house would be anywhere in the neighborhood of 125-180. This fish wont be sold at the shop and I am friendly with the shop and he would allow me to take it back. I am torn what to do. I would love to have this fish as an addition to my current and final tank which would be all of my current stocked tanks into one: Oscar, Severum, Eclipse Catfish, and pending my Perunno Catfish. Mostly looking out for the welfare of this fish. Please help.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
It's more likely a Leiarius marmoratus rather than a longibarbis or a Perrunichthys perruno. L. marmoratus is by far the most common of the three (Leiarius pictus is another more common species, but it wouldn't be as easily mistaken for the other species, at this size). A proper tank for any of these species would need to have at least a 3' width. People do keep arowanas in tiny aquariums, to the detriment of the fish's health, but that's not something you should ever want to emulate.

Reactions: danperagine

danperagine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2018
It's more likely a Leiarius marmoratus rather than a longibarbis or a Perrunichthys perruno. L. marmoratus is by far the most common of the three (Leiarius pictus is another more common species, but it wouldn't be as easily mistaken for the other species, at this size). A proper tank for any of these species would need to have at least a 3' width. People do keep arowanas in tiny aquariums, to the detriment of the fish's health, but that's not something you should ever want to emulate.
decided against brining the leiarius home, hopefully he can live a good life going forward.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Agree. Chances are it won't have a good life but it's not your responsibility. IMHO you have done two great things - returned what you can't keep and resisted getting it back.

Adult L. marmoratus needs a tank of at least 4' wide for sure, if anyone is concerned with its well-being. Its long maxillary barbels span over 3' when it is 2' long, which would be in 1.5-2 years, could even be in 1 year. When both barbels touch front and back glass, the fish instinct tells it it is trapped and has no way out. Constant stress, skittishness, darting, and injuries ensue. The fish will be a nervous wreck and live a miserable and short life.

This is well proven with dozens of cases IME and in that of other keepers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store