Help with a smaller plywood tank

Wretched5705

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
Killafornia
Hey everyone, myself and Mo05290 have been entertaining the thought for the past couple of days to start a bigger plywood build. Neither of us have ever built one before though so we thought we would just build a smaller one to use as a bit of a learning experience. I have been needing a larger aquarium anyways so we were just going to build the tester to be about 38x20x20. What would you recommend as a good thickness for the wood and would a tank this small actually need a center brace to keep it together? We aren't worried about the price of the project, we just want to do it to learn for when we make the big ones. Thanks in advanced, all help is appreciated.

imusuallyuseless

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
San Antonio
3/4'' plywood should do. Your dimensions would prob be better at 48 l as a more efficient use of the wood

iDRINKbLEACH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2011
Miami, Florida
3/4 is very good and much safer (if budget allows go it). Otherwise, 1/2 will suit your project just fine. For practice, design a board that will entirely use a single sheet of plywood. A 48in X 24in X 24in tanks will consume the entire sheet, the only surplus will be the cutouts for the window and the top. Going 24 inches high will allow you to use 1/2 glass which is considerably cheaper than 3/4 inch (24 inches high seems to be the border for 1/2 to 3/4 inch glass) at least in my area.

A couple of things that I am learning from my project (very similar to yours);

1.) Get the best plywood you can afford. A lot of folks use CDX plywood, yes it is cheap but not the smoothest. Four 5.45 a sheet more (in the 1/2 size) I got birch (25.85 a sheet). Very smooth, easy to work with inside and out. I used fiberglass and gelcoat on the inside (CDX would have been forgiving there), but my exterior aleardy looks like a nice piece of furniture. If I want, all I have to do is put molding to cover the screws and stain / polyurethane the exterior and it will be beautiful.

2.) Go to a good lumber yard and let them cut the wood for you. My shop charges $2.00 for 1st cut and .50 each additional cut. For less than $4.00 I got all the cuts I needed. My tank is square and true.

3.) By using 1/2 or 3/4 birch for the tank, you can use 1/4 birch for the the base/stand. Incorporate some molding / trim and you will have a very nice tank. You may think that making a pretty looking tank is not a big deal (it's just going live in my garage or back porch) but it increases the resale value big time. Building a tank is relatively easy. Basic woodworking skills, very light plumbing and a lot of common sense make a great tank. You'll learn a lot making the first one and you'll soon want to get going on a bigger project. Making a 4x8x2 tank is not much different from making your initial 4x2x2 (No extra glass/acrylic cost). And if the the cost of the glass or acrylic is not an issue, making a 4x8x4 tank is not harder (significant glass/acrylic cost increase).

Good luck and keep us posted.

Wretched5705

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
Killafornia
I will defiently kick the plywood thickness to 3/4 for safety, dont want to have all that water dumping out in my bedroom. Thank you for all the tips iDRINKbLEACh

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store