Help with acrylic/Glass Thickness for a monster tank

Evolutionnext

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2015
Hi there, i'm new to the forum and I am sure you guys could help me. I am planning to build myself a house and being an aquarium fanatic, I want to integrate a really really big tank in it. I dont know of the costs yet and I am at the stage of checking the prices for acrylic etc. to see how big the tank is going to get.

First the Idea:

Not taking cost into consideration, the plan would be to have a 5 meter wide continous glass/acrylic pane for the living room, that starts at the very bottom of the floor and goes up to about 2.4 meters. The glass/Acrylic would have to be 3 meters high. The aquarium would be roughly square in shape.. so about 5x 7 meters. I would have it made in concrete with the glass as a window set in concrete. The water depth would also be 3 meters. the opening would be separated from the living room to not have aquarium smell in the house.

It would be sea water with some corals at the top and sealife with maybe a few sharks or rays.

In the bathroom, I want to have a whirlpool that is half underneath an acrylic dome. If you are in the water, the sharks will swim past your head behind the half dome. The dome would be at 3 meters water depth. I immagine the dome to be 3 meters in diameter.

Now I have asked for some quotes of acrylic manufacturers and then I realized, that I really have no idea about the thickness required. Everyone tells me a different thickness. As I really dont want to flood my house, I thought I could start an interactive discussion on the topic. Maybe you can help me?

The open questions are:

1) With a 3 meter depth, what thickness would the acrylic have to be?
2) I think with water depth, the actual volume of water is irrelevant... whether there are 10 000 liters or 500 000 liters should not make a difference.. right?
3) Acrylic is more expensive i think, is Glass even available in form of a continous 5 meter x 3 meter pane? Would glass be a suitable alternative to save on cost?

I will be sure to award your help with elaborate pictures when I get round to making the aquarium (which might still take 1-2 years... I am in the process of looking for a site to build.

Thanks a lot!

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
When you're done, come build my house...same design except fresh water lol. I'll demo my current residence right meow, just say the word haha. You are going to need some THICK glass/acrylic, and being that you are doing a concrete build, I'd go acrylic. To be safe? I'd go with some "zoo-grade" thickness...1"+.

Evolutionnext

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2015
you think 2" would be enough? I thought I would have to go for 20cm thickness or so... am I wrong?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
you think 2" would be enough? I thought I would have to go for 20cm thickness or so... am I wrong?
that's like 8 inches isn't it? I'm thinking you could go a little less lol that would be a new Honda Civic worth of acrylic. BUT I'm no expert so I'd wait for someone with a little better understanding of large-scale builds.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
For glass, you are looking at 120mm for thickness, assuming bracing and a safety factor of 3. I would certainly want it to be safe as that much water would do serious damage if it got loose.

You are also looking at ~8,000 kg in weight, so you'll need heavy equipment to move it.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
see? I'd have flooded your whole house and the neighbor's yard with my advice

that and the fact that I definitely did not read METERS when I read your op, I had feet on my mind.

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
Contact your local public aquarium, they should be able to put you in touch with builders/engineers doing that type of construction.

raubiy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2015
♛ Slovenija ♛
INSANE dimensions. Like a boss. Post build thread :D
7m x 5m x 2.4m is 84.000 L water :D 84k.... 22190 gal

raubiy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2015
♛ Slovenija ♛
Oh i miss water deph is 3m not 2.4m . Numbers are growing even biger. :)

Evolutionnext

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2015
I know.. its a nice size of a tank.. ;) I ab designing my whole house around it...

To let you know the status so far:

I got a few quotes from acrylic manufacturers in Asia.. these are like this:

3m x 3m x 15cm = 1620kg = $18630
3m x 4m x 15cm = 2160kg = $24840
3m x 5m x 15cm = 2700kg = $31050

Plus $2500 shipping to europe.

Now thats a hefty price.. Then I got a quote form another manufacturer who quoted a different thickness:

3m x 3m x 10cm = $6500
3m x 4m x 12cm = $11000
3m x 5m x 13cm = $15000

• Acrylic 1/4 dome Diameter:300cm maximum thickness:25mm 6500usd
(i wanted a half dome.. not a quater)....

As you can see.. making it a little thinner already makes a big price difference.. hence this forum post. I am currently checking the prices for glass as well. So 12cm was quoted as a suitable thickness (thanks a lot!)... Any special type of glass I would need for this?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store