Help with choosing Aquatic Plants!

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
No worries. It could take multiple tries to keep rooted plants in the substrate as they will want to float but can still be done.
The rooted plants are very annoying in my sisters tank! Always floating to the top and getting sucked to the filter.

Reactions: fishguy1978

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
The rooted plants are very annoying in my sisters tank! Always floating to the top and getting sucked to the filter.
If you don’t want plants to float up, avoid stem plants and grow only epiphytes and rosette plants. Stem plants have weak roots, and the bottoms tend to go bald and decay requiring periodic topping and replanting. Rosette plants develop strong fibrous roots, and epiphyte roots hold tightly on objects which you can help started with superglue.

Reactions: Deadeye

cvar

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
usa
Wow. tiger15, your cichlid tank is SO BEAUTIFUL. I love it. Plants are lovely. Awesome! That green severum is my fav fish in there.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It will all depend on how strong, and the color band of your light.
Some plants need certain colors to grow well, others are more tolerant.
I have found Crypts, Java fern, and Anubius all do well under varying light, and harder, higher pH of my water.
Vallisneria needed a little extra strength
The ferns (because they can be attached to objects like wood, or rock are better with digging fish.
Crypts above, under certain light they get reddish leaves.
Below Anubius attached to a log
Above Java Fern
Below Vallianeria, in my sump
A5AB1394-88B8-46BA-9A44-E092A46FB33B_1_201_a.jpeg
i have found the Val is even tolerant of brackish conditions
Below Val and crypts in a tank back in the US, using only a hardware store shop light

Last edited:

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
Years ago I had a low tech planted tank (no C02) that thrived with valisneria and rotala rotundifolia, with healthy servings of java moss.... Let me see if I can find a pic of it.

Anyway, I currently have giant valisneria in my 120 and it is really starting to spread out, but it took a couple months (no C02).

In my garbage platy tank I have an old bunch of rotala rotundifolia growing in low light conditions and doing well.

If you need any rotala trimmings to get you started out I throw away an obscene amount every month when I trim my high tech tank. I will gladly give you more than enough to get you started out.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Years ago I had a low tech planted tank (no C02) that thrived with valisneria and rotala rotundifolia, with healthy servings of java moss.... Let me see if I can find a pic of it.

Anyway, I currently have giant valisneria in my 120 and it is really starting to spread out, but it took a couple months (no C02).

In my garbage platy tank I have an old bunch of rotala rotundifolia growing in low light conditions and doing well.

If you need any rotala trimmings to get you started out I throw away an obscene amount every month when I trim my high tech tank. I will gladly give you more than enough to get you started out.
Do you have hard water (GH)?

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
I think your leopard bushfish will appreciate the previously suggested hornwort. If you allow some to grow free floating at the top of the water, it would make good shelter for the bushfish.
Will share a picture of my hornwort when I get one so you can see what I mean.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store