help with GT health

Turion2112

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
New Jersey, U.S.
I have a green terror in a 50g tank with other cichlids all around the same size 4 to 5 inches all were put in the tank within a few month of each other.

Salvinvi (last one added to tank a month ago)
Texas (added to the tank with the GT 3 months ago)
rainbow (was already in tank for about 5 months)
Tiger Barbs 3
Gouriams 6 (was already in tank 1 year)

the cichlids have been in the tank for 4 months. I have noticed a serious decline in the health of the GT in the past WEEK (when I changed the water and relocated all the decor in the tank)
The GT fins are torn up ( the fins on each side, sorry I don't know the name of the fins) and he can not swim properly to escape the Texas when approached.
I see a noticeable twitching in the fish when I watch him thru the glass for a few min. The GT eats ok and comes to the glass when I approach the tank. I also have noticed a white spot protruding from the anis.(that has been there for awhile) I read that this may be a sign of infection. Also there is a what likes like a split in the fishes scales in front of the gills. I thought at first this may have been from a fight and would heal up but it does not seem to be getting better.

I am new to fish keeping although I have been doing this for 3 years I have not had to deal with diseases with success . I have seen other kinds of fish disease and lost the tank but this I have not seen.

any help would by great.

cichlid2006

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fife - Scotland
your tank is becoming a battleground and the GT is losing. It is also seriously overstocked. eventually the tiger barbs will be eaten and the gouramis too. this is once one cichlid kills the rest and turns its attention to the feeders in the tank.
you need to try and find somewhere safe to put the GT until you can get homes sorted out for the cichlids or get a biogger home or the GT will probably die.

if your tank is a 36x18x19" 50g like i have one one of my standard tank size charts then that is too small for those cichlids and you should rehome them now or upgrade to at least a 4ft tank if you want to keep one or two of them. but 36" is too small for most med/large cichlids, foot print is more important.

if you keep the GT then I would suggest it be kept singley as it is obviously fairing the worst.
the tex and sal should be ok for a while in a 4ft tank (55 but 75 would be better). but the bigger the better so if you can go to a 5ft+ then thats great.

all in all anything you do to try and stop the fighting will be useless while they are together in such a small tank.

Turion2112

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
New Jersey, U.S.
The tank glass measures 4' x12"x18" it must be a 55 g

Which of these fish should i keep together and which should i move out?

What would be the fastest way to move them. I have a 30 g tank but it has no fish in it. I have put water from a water change in the 30g and have a filter running and the temp set to the same as the 55g (80 degrees) how long should I wait to move the fish.(does the tank have to cycle like a complete new setup first, that takes time)
Would doing a water chang on the 55g and putting the water in the 30g gallon and also the filter media from the 55g into the 30g would I be able to move the fish soon? I tested the water per. in the 30g and the

am 0
nit 1
ph7.2
temp 80

I am supprised at how fast the texas grew to such a larger size.
she chases the other cichlids around but can not catch the salvini which looks just great right now.

And do you know what the white is protruding from the anis of the GT.

cichlid2006

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fife - Scotland
Turion2112;3762083; said:
The tank glass measures 4' x12"x18" it must be a 55 g Nope your tank is 44.95 Gallons at 100% full but no tank is 100% full, more like 70-90% (may be even less though) because of decor/fish mass/substrate/equipment.

Which of these fish should i keep together and which should i move out?

What would be the fastest way to move them. I have a 30 g tank but it has no fish in it. I have put water from a water change in the 30g and have a filter running and the temp set to the same as the 55g (80 degrees) how long should I wait to move the fish.(does the tank have to cycle like a complete new setup first, that takes time)

Would doing a water chang on the 55g and putting the water in the 30g gallon and also the filter media from the 55g into the 30g would I be able to move the fish soon? I tested the water per. in the 30g: am 0, nit 1, ph7.2, temp 80 Half fill trhe 30g with water from the 55 then add the other half with fresh dechlorinated water. Also add some of your bio media/sponge from the 55g's filtration to the 30g's filter, DO NOT rinse the media. you will basically have a ready to use tank.

you should be able to move the GT immediately.

I am supprised at how fast the texas grew to such a larger size.
she chases the other cichlids around but can not catch the salvini which looks just great right now. be prepared for the salvini to be chased without a break. if this happens then i would suggest putting the tex in the 30g for the time being until you either arrange a new home for the sal and GT or the tex. but it would seem your tex is going to be intolerant of tankmates although i have no experience of them so i cannot advise further on the tex.

And do you know what the white is protruding from the anis of the GT. I dont know from your description of a white lump but pictures will likely lead to a conclusion.

Answers in red.

Turion2112

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
New Jersey, U.S.
please see pics:

GT front
GT wound on right side of head
GT behind see bottom there is a: white spot
Texas cichlid This is the member from Central America I believe

cichlid2006

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fife - Scotland
the side of the head/gill plate looks to me like damage from fighting. so melafix and a 25-40% water change every few days for that before infection sets in.

the white lump at the anus looks like the fish could be constipated, does the fish poo normally?
if not then try feeding some blanched and shelled garden peas. only feed the soft flesh from inside the shell. maybe someone else with more experience than me may chime in about this.

what are you feeding the fish?

have you removed the GT yet?
this is your priority for the minute. once this is achieved then it can be more easily fed peas without other fish making hard, the melafix will be cheaper for the smaller tank and water changes will be easier.

Turion2112

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
New Jersey, U.S.
Yes I moved the fish last night into a new tank that I setup quickly 20g

This morning he is still alive so at least he was not stressed to much from the move.

Now I have the to get the Melafix. Never used this before. Hope it works

I feed the fish Cichlid sticks and pellets Tetra and Omega One brands

What do you mean by blanched and shelled garden peas were do I get these from.

What other fish food could I use to bring this GT back to a good size and Health quickly.

I will post a pic later today.

cichlid2006

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fife - Scotland
20070803peas-with-mint.jpg
ordinary green peas that you get frozen/tinned or fresh and you would have with your evening meal. to blanch fresh peas you just need to dip them in boiling water for 90 secs and cool in ice water. frozen peas need to be boiled/steamed to defrost them anyway and tinned peas are already done as well (may need a good rinse because of brine).

peas have a shell on them that needs to be taken off. get a cooked pea in between your fingers and give it a gentle squeeze. this should push the soft insides out of the thin shell.
you feed the inside to the fish and this gives them the chance to get their digestive system up and running properly again. much like us with vegetables.

i dont know for sure that it is constipation but i think it looks like it.
try adding algae wafers/pellets to the diets of all your fish maybe 2 or 3 times a week as a 2nd meal. this will keep their digestive systems ticking over.
a varied diet is the key to healthy fish IMO

Turion2112

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
New Jersey, U.S.
ok after 1 day of setting up this 20 g tank for the GT to recover the water peramiters read
amm is 0
but the nitrite has gone up to 1/1.5
Ph 7.4
water temp 79.

api teat kit drops.

Should i just leave it alone or do a water change.

have not added Melafix yet

cichlid2006

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fife - Scotland
do a 50% water change and add seachem prime as your dechlorinator if you can. there are instructions on the bottle for reducing nitrite toxicity as well. i think its a double dose but check.
i would personally add melafix now but you may want to get the tank stabilised first. as long as you do daily water changes (due to the mini cycle your having) for the next few days your GT should start healing fine.

has it eaten peas yet?
how is your salvini coping with the texas seeing as its the centre of attention now?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store