Help with herbie emergency drain

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
True, but you'll also want to consider how much the second drain takes on when the primary is open and running. It may then make a lot of noise. That's why I had asked OP where the water level is relative to the second drain when the system is up and running.
I thought that the picture is of the water level in the overflow when it's running. If that is the case his emergency should be dry at that hight if he cuts the elbow off

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
OK, I see. Thanks. It's a good test to allow the second drain a chance to have a full siphon, true. But we'll still have to deal with how it works with the primary drain. That is, it will still need to be higher than the primary drain to be used as an E drain.

Anyway good discussion, I think we lost OP...LOL.
I think we did lol

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
That's alright. He'll go play with it, and when he's looking at it, it'll all make sense to him. This drain/overflow/sump plumbing stuff is MUCH harder to write about and explain in words than it is to do it.

But, I totally agree. If the E-Drain moves any lower, the main drain will be too high. It might come down to plugging both bulkheads and re-drilling both holes lower down.

Holes on the bottom of the tank and adjustable standpipes is where it's at.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
OK, OK, one Las post. Miller, you may be right. I looked at the picture several times and it always looked like it wasn't running. If it is on, then OP could have room to cut the E drain lower. The primary drain would still have full siphon, and if the E drain is lower would have a better chance to take on the volume sooner.

Anyway...carry on gents...

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
OK, I see. Thanks. It's a good test to allow the second drain a chance to have a full siphon, true. But we'll still have to deal with how it works with the primary drain. That is, it will still need to be higher than the primary drain to be used as an E drain.

Anyway good discussion, I think we lost OP...LOL.
I think we did lol

Keep going im learning allot from this !

Sorry FluffySackson FluffySackson just kidding

That's alright. He'll go play with it, and when he's looking at it, it'll all make sense to him. This drain/overflow/sump plumbing stuff is MUCH harder to write about and explain in words than it is to do it.

But, I totally agree. If the E-Drain moves any lower, the main drain will be too high. It might come down to plugging both bulkheads and re-drilling both holes lower down.

Holes on the bottom of the tank and adjustable standpipes is where it's at.
How are the standpipes adjusted ?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Standpipes adjusted by taking them out and cutting them shorter. If you wanna make them longer, just put in a longer piece of PVC.

That's why you don't glue the standpipes into the bulkhead. You might wanna adjust the length, or drain the overflow box. Don't glue the standpipes.

But, OP doesn't have standpipes, so he's limited in how much he can adjust the level of his drains.

Reactions: jaws7777

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
OK, OK, one Las post. Miller, you may be right. I looked at the picture several times and it always looked like it wasn't running. If it is on, then OP could have room to cut the E drain lower. The primary drain would still have full siphon, and if the E drain is lower would have a better chance to take on the volume sooner.

Anyway...carry on gents...
My theory or what I have always understood is that as long as the e drain is 1/8 below the main drain that is all you need. Is that correct

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store