azariah.wikidot.com
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
0-15
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hello there MFK!

So, I have a 90-gallon tank with a Leopard Ctenopoma and 6 Keyhole cichlids, all of which are around 5-7 months old. Everyone has been growing great, except for one Keyhole cichlid who has barely grown, if at all. His cichlid friends are about twice his size now, and I'm not sure why he hasn't grown much. However, I did notice some white spots on his caudal fin the other day. I wasn't sure if it was ich or not, but after a few days a few more spots appeared on him, and it looks a lot like ich.

I was wondering what treatments would be best to give to the tank? Obviously treating everyone seems like the best option as he has been in there with everyone for several months now. In addition, could this have anything to do with his growth stunt? I'm puzzled about why he hasn't grown at all. Does ich stop growth in fishes?

Any help is appreciated!

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Post some pics to confirm, but as far as treatment goes salt and heat always works.
Lack of growth is more likely due to being the least dominant fish and getting the least amount of food.

MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
Post some pics to confirm, but as far as treatment goes salt and heat always works.
Lack of growth is more likely due to being the least dominant fish and getting the least amount of food.
Okay, so raise the temp to 85-86. Will that hurt any of the fish? In total there's the leopard ctenopoma, the 6 keyholes, a bristlenose pleco, a bamboo shrimp, and some nerites. They'll all be okay?

And then the two tablespoons of salt per gallon, I know that's a little bit salty, but just to confirm, everyone here will be okay with that? Should I also perform my weekly water change, or just skip it this week?

Lastly, here are some photos of the lad. Notice the spots on his caudal fin.FD0C8B22-707B-4DD8-99D5-F76A373764E9.jpeg4960E929-11E4-411F-B7BA-7A532563276F.jpegC9F56981-B3F6-491C-A333-40E4728BC83F.jpeg840AAC34-B079-43A4-9E7D-D8F2E8E9CEF4.jpeg

Reactions: Fallen_Leaves16

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
The spots on the caudal fin do not look like Ich to me. They almost look like broken fin rays but are in the webbing between the rays.

Any chance they could be Lernaea or anchorworm? Do they stick out from the fin more than typical Ich? Any chance you can net the fish for a closer look, maybe even with a magnifying glass?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
The spots on the caudal fin do not look like Ich to me. They almost look like broken fin rays but are in the webbing between the rays.

Any chance they could be Lernaea or anchorworm? Do they stick out from the fin more than typical Ich? Any chance you can net the fish for a closer look, maybe even with a magnifying glass?
I agree - looks more like mechanical damage (which would be consistent with that one being harassed and kept from food).

As for the salt, plecos can be sensitive (mine handled it fine), but I definitely wouldn’t keep the shrimp and snails in there while salt is being treated.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee

Agree it doesn't look like ick to me either, and.....
Here is close up shot of Lernaea to compare.
IMG_7750.jpeg
As said, It is more likely the one that hasn't grown, is the most subordinate of the group, and is being picked on to a point of getting scarred up, and denighed enough food, so can't grow..
It needs to be put into a hospital tank where with a little TLC can catch up in growth, and once it hits the same size as the others, be put back in the group.
I had this happen with a young Vieja bifasciatus group, turned out all the larger ones were females, I grew the stunted one out in a separate tank, where it received a proper diet, and within 6 months it was the size of the others.
After it was added back to the main tank, it became dominant, and spawned on and off with a number of the females over time.
Although being picked on, and not allowed to eat, can disrupt its immune system, making it vulnerable to disease.

Last edited:

MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
Agree it doesn't look like ick to me either, and.....
Here is close up shot of Lernaea to compare.
View attachment 1508839
As said, It is more likely the one that hasn't grown, is the most subordinate of the group, and is being picked on to a point of getting scarred up, and denighed enough food, so can't grow..
It needs to be put into a hospital tank where with a little TLC can catch up in growth, and once it hits the same size as the others, be put back in the group.
I had this happen with a young Vieja bifasciatus group, turned out all the larger ones were females, I grew the stunted one out in a separate tank, where it received a proper diet, and within 6 months it was the size of the others.
After it was added back to the main tank, it became dominant, and spawned on and off with a number of the females over time.
Although being picked on, and not allowed to eat, can disrupt its immune system, making it vulnerable to disease.
thank you everyone! I’m glad that it doesn’t seem to be ick or any other parasite, however I am concerned for the guy if he is getting picked on. I will make sure that he receives some TLC, and that he is able to grow big!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store