Help!!

BASSHUNTERS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Bay Area California
I recently put a tiny Black Bass (spotted) in a 125 gallon tank.. He was doing well for about a week but now I can’t get him to eat anything.. Won’t eat goldfish , ghost shrimp, crickets, pellets.. His lower lip is torn up a bit from where I hooked him and now it looks like it is drying up like a scab. I started medication in tank to try to speed up healing . I am hoping his lack of eating will normalize when his lip is healed.. Any suggestions ?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I recently put a tiny Black Bass (spotted) in a 125 gallon tank.. He was doing well for about a week but now I can’t get him to eat anything.. Won’t eat goldfish , ghost shrimp, crickets, pellets.. His lower lip is torn up a bit from where I hooked him and now it looks like it is drying up like a scab. I started medication in tank to try to speed up healing . I am hoping his lack of eating will normalize when his lip is healed.. Any suggestions ?

Welcome aboard

What are your water parameters? Never feed live feeders to fish unless you quarantine and treat them first.

Reactions: Itsadeepbluesea

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Could be still stressed from being hooked and moved to the tank. Maybe a jaw injury from being hooked. Hope it starts to feed. Would check ur water quality for sure.

Would take what tlindsey tlindsey said in consideration. Feeders are never the best source of food unles you have no other choice. In that case make sure u don’t use goldfish. Try convicts /guppies/mollies/minnows etc from a trusted source. Other option is medicate and qt temporarily then feed.

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
How recent is recent? I never had a spotted bass, but when I use to do small mouth bass, freeze dried krill always worked well. If it has only been a day or two I would keep trying as he may be stressed from being hooked and transported. It always took a while to get them feed in an unfamiliar environment. Have you tried worms? My red breasted sunfish always loved those.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store