Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
None
If yes, what is your nitrite?
Was high getting down now
If yes, what is your nitrate?
Low
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
11-20%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hello everyone, I have had this Oscar for a couple weeks and he was doing great in the tank. He loves to eat and always comes out when I get close. I saw 2 days ago he had some white spots and I immediately thought it was ich. I was told ich spreads fast so I waited a day to see if it was ich and how fast it spread. Not one other fish has any spots. Every fish eats fine including him and over the couple days he has had spots he has only gained a few. Today he has one on his eye. I’m not sure if I should treat for ick and if that’s safe to do if he doesn’t have ich. Please if anyone has advice on what to do help me out. I also had a huge nitrite spike but I’m doing large water changes to fix it. View attachment 309909

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Can’t really tell from the pic. If the spots are increasing then it could ich. Would treat with seachem paragaurd or dose some salt to the tank, 3 tsp per g, and maintain till the last spot disappears after about a week.

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
How large are the spots? Grain of salt size?
Hard to see anything in the pic.

Eben m

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2023
For some reason the picture in my post is not my picture? I posted a complete different photo and the picture is showing someone else’s tank I think. Maybe this pic will workC16F84AE-FA5D-4B8F-9B7D-EAE58406E7F0.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks like ich.

Eben m

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2023
I mean it definitely does. The only reason I’m doubting is because it’s been three days and spots have barely increased. I’ve seen one more spot since then and it’s on his eye. I’ve been told it’s rare for ich to be on the eye. Also nobody in tank has any spots and they all eating like crazy. I would dose for ich but if it is not ich could the medication be toxic to my fish? I’ve heard of a disease called epistylis which looks like ich but medication in the water can make it worse. Epistylis also grows on the eyes and looks very similar. My fish are all showing healthy traits just one has spots. I appreciate the feedback from everyone. I think the main question I’m wondering is do I dose the tank for ich and just hope it helps instead of harm?

Eben m

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2023
Can’t really tell from the pic. If the spots are increasing then it could ich. Would treat with seachem paragaurd or dose some salt to the tank, 3 tsp per g, and maintain till the last spot disappears after about a week.
Should I feed an antibody food or same diet?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Should I feed an antibody food or same diet?
Medicated food won’t work with this. As long as it’s a varied diet then that’ll work.

Eben m

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2023
Medicated food won’t work with this. As long as it’s a varied diet then that’ll work.
Okay I think today I will look if there is more spots and if there is I will treat the tank for ich using your ideas. Thank you

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store