HELP!

AR1

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth
I recently added a snakehead and a red devil/midas cichlid to my pond. At first,the pacu and RD were best of buddies but now the pacu is chasing my RD and trying to nip its tail. Its become extremely aggressive and chasing off both of them. What should I do

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
Nothing much to be expected of either a red devil or a snakehead except trouble, in a communal setting, at least. Not sure what you really expected; not much you can do now except remove either aggressor or victim- though removal of the aggressor might end up with another fish stepping up to replace them, in this case.

AR1

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
The snake head hasn't been aggressive at all and just chills in its cave, while the RD too is very shy. It's just the pacu who is having anger bursts.

AR1

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Another thing I have noticed that the pacu became aggressive only at feeding time, is that common?

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
Sorry- I misread your original comment. The aggressive pacu will still likely pose an issue; separation is still optimal.
If a fish exhibits aggression towards tankmates on occasion when being observed by people, there's a good chance the behaviour is much more severe when not being seen.
What sort of food aggression is it? Does the fish actively try to ward off other feeders, or just goes about and chases other fish? How much are you feeding?

Reactions: Joshuakahan

AR1

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
it forces the red devil to come out of its cave and then chases it at high speeds, sometimes biting its tail. its never been like that before and has always been a very shy fish. It has been kept with a plethora of other fish in the past, but has never been aggresive like that before. It never tends to bother other feeders, not until now. i tend to feed it until it refuses to eat more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store