Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Introduce any new fish lately?

TheFishWrestler

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2007
--------
Haven't introduced any new fish for over a month. The substrate is a very small sized gravel. He did say that he is dealing with an ammonia spike today. Is this due to the fish dying over night then sitting in the tank until the morning?

ado124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Alexandria, VA
TheFishWrestler;3941144; said:
Haven't introduced any new fish for over a month. The substrate is a very small sized gravel. He did say that he is dealing with an ammonia spike today. Is this due to the fish dying over night then sitting in the tank until the morning?
yikes, I'm using peace river gravel (very fine gravel) in my tank....:(

pho4life

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2006
In a BOWL
you may want to ask your friend to see if any other rays suffering from the same problems.

bacteria on the gravel? gravel cleaning lately?

how are the other rays acting?

Pesch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2008
London
I had a similar looking infection with my male leo around 6 months ago! I am sure this was caused by bacteria in my substate (sand). As fishdog mentioned I treated with Melafix and raised the temps to 85 and changed half the water for 7 days running. Sorry for the loss.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
wow that sucks! has he checked ammonia again? even if the spike were due to the dead ray, an established filter should be able to reduce the ammonia back to 0 in a bout 24hrs

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
hmm thats seems pretty high, especially a day after that ray died. any disruption in the bio media, like chlorine, power outage, etc?

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
The question I have is when is the last time his filter was cleaned. If the bio chamber has been un touched for a long time it can also grow bad bacteria that can migrate into the tank. Substrate did not cause this as wild rays live on rocks, sticks, and who knows what else. They could probably live on sand paper if they had to, well maybe not that extreme. If there are other rays in the system I would bet they are showing similar signs. If it is the bacteria type I mentioned then they might or do have it as well. You won't see it on there backs, it shows up in feet, under disk, and tips of the tail. The ray usually is dead before you see it on the back side.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store