Heres why parents eat their young!!!

Lady Sphinx

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
South Africa, Johannesburg
Celestial Pearl Danio eat their eggs if they can find them in the gravel after the thrills of spawning subside. In two weeks the eggs hatch and again the fry are at risk of being eaten by the parents. This is one of the lucky ones at about 2 days old that I found before the parents did and moved it to a green water and infusoria raising tank.View attachment 1129611
This photo taken with my Nikon CoolPix 9300 at a camera setting of 10x zoom through two jeweler's loupes of 4x power each for a total of 160x magnification.
Thats a standard piece of #1 gravel it is resting on.
At 6.2 Megapixel, enlarge to your heart's content. It doesn't get much clearer than this.

How on earyh do you scope up something that small and keep it alive wow

Lady Sphinx

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Celestial Pearl Danio eat their eggs if they can find them in the gravel after the thrills of spawning subside. In two weeks the eggs hatch and again the fry are at risk of being eaten by the parents. This is one of the lucky ones at about 2 days old that I found before the parents did and moved it to a green water and infusoria raising tank.View attachment 1129611
This photo taken with my Nikon CoolPix 9300 at a camera setting of 10x zoom through two jeweler's loupes of 4x power each for a total of 160x magnification.
Thats a standard piece of #1 gravel it is resting on.
At 6.2 Megapixel, enlarge to your heart's content. It doesn't get much clearer than this.

How on earth do you scope up something that small and keep it alive wow

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
How on earyh do you scope up something that small and keep it alive wow
Hello; The way I have done this is to use a length of the small diameter air line tubing. Hold a finger on one end and place the other end near the eggs or small fry deep in the water. Lift off the finger and as water rushes into the tube it will also pick up the eggs or small fry.
A helpful modification is to attach a length of rigid tubing into the flexible air line. This allows for more control. In the school lab I used glass tubing which has some hazards and have since used the clear plastic rigid tubing.
I use to do this with zebra danio that I induced to spawn in my classrooms. The students could then see the eggs develop over several days viewing thru stereo scopes. This was also possible with the newly hatched fry as they are still very small. These tiny fry are mostly transparent which allows the circulatory system blood flow to be observed.

By the way the eggs or fry are not killed if the dished slides are used. They can survive for many minutes in the drops of water in the dished portion.

Lady Sphinx

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Interesting, I will remember this if I ever need to move extremely small fry. Have never bred anything smaller than guppies. But I think it's time to try my hand at something a bit more complicated. Which fish would you suggest for a beginner

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Interesting, I will remember this if I ever need to move extremely small fry. Have never bred anything smaller than guppies. But I think it's time to try my hand at something a bit more complicated. Which fish would you suggest for a beginner
Danios are easy, all the common types

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Danios are easy, all the common types
Hello Yes the danios are easy. In fact if you have a group in a community tank with at least one female they are likely spawning quite often. They and the other fish will eat the eggs however so some measure needs to be taken.
Dainoes scatter the eggs and the eggs are not sticky. I have made a breeding trap using some of the nylon screen material which allows the eggs to fall thru. I posted photos of the setup on this forum some years ago.

Reactions: Lady Sphinx

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
What some people do is fill a cup with moss and cover the bottom with marbles, the Danios spawn in there and it's easy to remove

Reactions: Lady Sphinx

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I'm guessing this is the easy part of breeding Danios keeping the fry alive is where the challenge comes in. Some infrasoia should do the trick if I'm not mistaken.
Inforusia is good. Boiled egg yellow is also okay a bit later on

Aquatank

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 30, 2017
california
aquatank134.wixsite.com
Guys I think I have the answer for this problem .This is because the pair is not ready to have the babies and it just happened that either of them had spawned so it's partner also spawned as to still be paired up with the partner

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store