Heros Notatus: Male or Female???

Fonzi42

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Greetings MFK'ers! I have 2 Heros Notatus around 4" and the colors are really starting to pop. Would like to have some input as to if I have male or female fish. One is always getting chased by the other... Any help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks! Feel free to share photos as well! Really enjoy keeping this species!

FISH 1
image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg

FISH 2
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Is fish #2 being chased all the time?

I have a Notatus that looks just like fish 2, and my theory is that it is a female due to it being chased by my other Efasciatus. I'm basically just basing it off how humans act, males usually are the initiators for mating, haha.

Reactions: Fonzi42

o5b0rn3b

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2014
Pittsburgh
I think they both might be female. Though I'm unsure on fish #1, lack of any facial markings makes me think female.

I'm far from an expert, they just don't look like my male.

Reactions: Fonzi42

Fonzi42

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Is fish #2 being chased all the time?

I have a Notatus that looks just like fish 2, and my theory is that it is a female due to it being chased by my other Efasciatus. I'm basically just basing it off how humans act, males usually are the initiators for mating, haha.
Yes! Fish 2 is the one always being hassled.

Fonzi42

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
I think they both might be female. Though I'm unsure on fish #1, lack of any facial markings makes me think female.

I'm far from an expert, they just don't look like my male.
Lighting isn't the best in the pics, fish 1 does have some blue on the face and has really long pointed fin trailers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store