Hey Guy, I gotta get something off my chest...

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I understand what you're saying wild bill but this fish are in out homes, not the wild. I worked a pet store for almost 3 years and changing the betta water was the most depressing part of my job.
And thank you for the compliment. I've worked very hard on that tank haha.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
So a serious betta breeder who keeps over 300 bettas should have 300 10 gallon aquariums to house them? Be serious. As far as the goldfish go, they should not be in a bowl. Then again, people should not be using goldfish as feeders.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
The needs of goldfish and fancy bettas are quite different.

While I wouldn't think of keeping a goldfish in a bowl, bettas are just fine in one.

In fact, that's how most serious betta breeders keep them...and how I kept them when I used to breed them: mason jars and 1/2g drum bowls...water changed daily.

Matt

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
As Matt says....

In terms of husbandry I could risk stating that bettas are better kept the way we keep them then "in the wild "...I have seen them in the water retained in tree leaves...

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
So a serious betta breeder who keeps over 300 bettas should have 300 10 gallon aquariums to house them? Be serious. As far as the goldfish go, they should not be in a bowl. Then again, people should not be using goldfish as feeders.
Do breeders breed Bettas in a bowl ?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with Matt and Miguel, when I was in Southeast Asia, you could find Betta splendens (or some wild facsimile thereof) in muddy puddles, and furrows in rice fields with only an inch or 2 of water, in just about any condition imaginable.
Some of the wild type bettas from pristine streams in Borneo would not be comfortable in those conditions.
Even though they could live in less, I keep a group of Betta edithae in a 20 gallon, with a fairly strong current.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
I used a 1/2 filled 5 gallon tank for breeding. Remove the male from his bowl and place him in the tank so that he can build a bubble nest. Remove the female from her bowl and place her in a glass lamp cover (in the tank). Lift to allow the pair to mate (once the male's built his nest). Remove the female back to her bowl when done. The male raises the fry in the breeding tank for a couple of weeks...and then back to the bowl for him.

Matt

Do breeders breed Bettas in a bowl ?

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I keep several betta ( one wild one ) in the mix.

All are in adequate sized tanks.mfiltration by plant material and water change ( though not much of the latter )

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store