Hey guys!

CichlidKevin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2012
Braintree,MA
are you looking for size, color, aggression? it all depends on your taste. a 75 or a 55 are great started sizes, 75 obviously being better.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
If your anything like me, youll fall in love with bichirs. I started keeping fish because they were so snake like, i have kept a couple snakes over the years and wanted to try something new. You could fit a delhezi bichir, senegal bichir (most common), mokelembembe, and all of the palmas species (beuttokoferri, palmas palmas, polli) for life in that size of a tank. They also deathroll like alligators sometimes, if the food is too big to swallow.

Very cool fish, very ancient, breaths air, sounds right up your alley.

And quite good to keep w/ other fish, as long as they dont suck slime coat or are big enough for the bichirs to eat (alive) ive had incidents where a fish died and my senegal had deathrolled a few chunks but didnt do the actual killing. Ive seen a couple people keep them w/ knife fish
Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Im not sure what knife fish are like, but you may need slightly larger tankmates to avoid the knife potentially eating them all?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cantthinkofone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2013
Akron, Ohio
i was saying how i have a couple knife fish picked out and maybe a tetra or two, plus the knife. what are some good medium sized freshwater peaceful fish?

Lead20

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2013
NY
Trust me knife fish can grow very large and their mouths can open quite wide as well so any small species of fish wouldn't really work, if you have your mind set on the knife fish mine seems to do well with my oscar, red tail catfish and birchirs. If you want some smaller more colorful fish you can always try out the assorted cichlids from your local pet store, you can get some really cool looking fish and best of all they don't grow too big! Best of luck in the new hobby!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
I could tell that you might vouch for gars, and bichirs... Maybe try some axolotl. It's fully aquatic also, it needs cool waters tho.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
If you go with the bicher I would IMO try brown knife, or the black ghost knife, just make sure you have a hiding tube such as PVC for the black ghost knife.:). I personally would'nt try to keep both knife species in the same aquarium. Brown knife would be the hardiest of the two. Brown knife from Africa, Black Ghost Knife from South America.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store