Hi From UK

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
theres a few plants that will root to bog wood and rocks, that way they are easily moved around... anubia and java fern work thats for sure!-) if you plant in the substate im not sure, sounds like a headache...

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
I really like the fire eel and have read that they like to burrow. I was thinking that anything apart from sand may damage them? I am also thinking about the aquascaping side of it. I currently have rocks etc. but again I read that these can damage the eel as they scrape over them. I realise I have to build some "caves" or hiding places for my plec, feather synodontis, and yoyo-yo loachs.

The other question I have is plants! I gave up trying to plant our tank years ago as they would get ripped out or if they managed to stay planted they made it harder to vacuum the gravel on our weekly water change and clean.

How do people manage to keep their tanks planted and also adequately clean the substrate?
As justarn said some of the easiest and most robust plants are the ones you tie to rocks and wood. some other options are mix sand in with the gravel, use plastic pipe for caves, just have to think out side the box.

I recently got into plants and its turning out to be easier than expected, except with the dovii's they didn't like the java ferns and havn't been able to get them to except but I have sneaked in some java moss and anubia in there but its only been a week so will see how that goes.

on a side note is there any good LFS your end?? we quite limited around cardiff.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
I've got java tied to a chunk of bogwood thats rooted ok Neil , ive also got a few plants in a large plastic pond plant pot so it can be knocked around without smashing anything:D
Justins tank looks quality with the roofing slates its defo with considering with a few chunky bits of wood you could tie plants to

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
in some of my tiles set ups i have still had substrait to grow plants in here is a recent one i set up, I use the slate to cover areas and fill in the gaps with sand and gravel, i have two tanks like this and one just slate.

and finished (for now)

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Nice shane :) thats pretty much how my breeding jag pairs tank is setup (without the plants obviously lol ) big gravel , few flat chunks of slate to lay eggs on , and one big pipe and one small (female hide)

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
jags trash every thing i just through plastic plants in now for the male to throw around lol

i love this type of set up because it stops plants spreading so you get natural open areas, my dovii tank is complete slate and my jag is half rocks half sand with a lump of slate between the two areas the female has hides in the rocks and my marble has an over hang in there where he hangs out, that tank above is only a 30G apisto tank im working on (still gonna add more plants, formations and leaf litter). my cat tank is set up the same way but i have a lot more java in that to provide cover. nearly all my tanks have water lettuce and duck weed now lol.

Sorry for the thread hijack

Neil setting a large tank up in this way also cuts cost a bit because large areas can be covered with slate (i used reclaimed roof tiles or paving slate ) and its cheap as chip to buy, i got the slate to do my 180G for under £5 and still using some of it for other tanks. you only need sand and gravel for smaller areas. if you ever cardiff airport way your more than welcome to call in for a brew and a browse.

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
another slate/ substrate mix up lol

and just slate

jags half and half ( not the prettiest of tanks lol)

Reactions: Evz jardini

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Yeah sorry to hijack neil theres not many UK threads for us lot

My male jag has started picking up those boulders and throwing them around in a mood when his Mrs won't lay , making me worry a little that he's gonna smash the tank
i thinking take those out and just throw a rubber dog toy in for him to throw around when he starts kickin off could save me a smashed tank (bizare idea but I've seen another mfk'r do it with a big Midas I think)

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Look great mate love that 180 with the triple pipe and boulders

I'll try find some pics of my Malawi setup I had with massive river boulder caves

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store