HIGH GLOSS WHITE -- MIXED REEF -- 100GAL

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Everything sounds good save the Red Montipora - not enuff lite. I learned this the hardway myself - think like 7 watts per gal and 20x flow per hr. to shed their mucus membranes. At this point, I'm not a huge fan of mixing LPS + SPS or softies - the flow rates are too high for elongated polyps IMO.

As for - "you can't go by watts per gal" - do a PAR light test and you'll understand.

rusland005

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2011
Here, there, everywhere.
Yeah I agree with the SPS / LPS mixing. My frogspawn isn't happy and I think it's down to flow, kinda hard to find a spot for it with all the flow. Also it's hard to find placements without a turf war starting between the two.

The monti has suprised me. Under LED it almost died, I mean most of it had turned white. Thought I lost it but after changing back to T5's it's totally revived. I still stightly prefer LPS over SPS so I think I will give SPS a miss due to the lighting. I heard the branching monti is one of the easiest to keep, and can see why (but also see your point though, due to the LED Kessils almost killing it - not as easy to keep SPS as I thought they were)

jayclarke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Liverpool, UK
Tank looks great so far mate!

Could I add API Quick Start to my tank once the Live Sand is added, Id like to get it in then the wk after add 25kg LR if thats possible?

rusland005

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2011
Here, there, everywhere.
Tank looks great so far mate!

Could I add API Quick Start to my tank once the Live Sand is added, Id like to get it in then the wk after add 25kg LR if thats possible?
I found the best way was to add the sand and rock on the same day, dose API quick start and add a couple of fish to the tank, all on the one day. Never noticed any ammonia in my tests at all. Doing it this way you need to test your water everyday but it will be fine, if any ammonia appears do a small water change and dose API (as per the instructions). API quickstart is miracle stuff.

In saying this, if you buy good quality rock that hasn't be out the water for a long time, you shouldn't even need API quick start, the rock will be enough :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store