higher temps faster growth rate ?

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
By SF, Farther Inland, NorCal
Are koi tropical fish?
Of couse not. EXACTLY my point. They are coldwater so the temperature is very low. Hence why all coldwater fish live so long :duh: oh and anyone giving an example of a coldwater fish with a short lifespan that is caused by the environment. Such as the dry season when lakes dry up. So the fish are "annuals". Bettas and mosquito fish are 2 examples. No need to point out that bettas are tropical fish. Dry season happens in tropical climates too not just temperate.

COG Commando

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2011
West Bend, WI
All cold water fish do not "live so long". However, you are correct in your statement that a higher metabolic rate will usually lead to a shorter lifespan.

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
Of couse not. EXACTLY my point. They are coldwater so the temperature is very low. Hence why all coldwater fish live so long :duh: oh and anyone giving an example of a coldwater fish with a short lifespan that is caused by the environment. Such as the dry season when lakes dry up. So the fish are "annuals". Bettas and mosquito fish are 2 examples. No need to point out that bettas are tropical fish. Dry season happens in tropical climates too not just temperate.
Do you know the average life span of a Arapima or a Pariba? So, if I kept my bass in colder water...It will live long?

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT TROPICAL FISH!!!!!!!!!!:wall:

slednex11

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2010
regina ,sk
they will grow faster as long as you feed twice or 3 times more! cause it speeds the metabolism up they need to be feed lots of its actually working against them as there burning up all their calories too quickly, my tank used to run hot like 88-90 with my bass and were feed once daily and my buddy had some of the same bass from the same batch and his tank was 82 and fed very similar as myself and his were twice the size of mine and his were in a 240 and mine are in a 600gallon

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
Hmmm, didn't know that higher temps kicked there metabilism into high gear ! But ya I have my tank set to 30deg for my little PB hopefully they do well

i'll likely feed em morning lunch and supper and maybe eve try before bed

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
All organisms have an "optimum temp" in which that organism has evolved in to survive, be they bacteria, or fish, or birds.
Go only a few degrees below, the organism starts to become stressed, same if temp rises above.
N haitensis evolved in temps in the high 80s, and should be kept in those temps.
All Gymnogeophagus come from temperate and/or subtropical waters and need a cool down for a proper life cycle. Eliminate that cool down, and the stress creates disease potential, aggression, a shortened life span, and/or sub par appearance.
I believe all fish should be kept at their optimum temp for best color, growth, and health, and a little research may give the best results.
I keep Alcolapia in the high 80s 90sF,

Uruguayan cichlids get a cool down at least down into the low 60sF

just as I give northern Mexican species such as H carpintus or beani into the low 70s to mid 60s.

Temps in the mid to high 80s is also optimum for the bacteria Flexibactor columnaris (cause of duck lips)
unless the fish has evolved to resist it.
Just as a sudden drop in temp can bring on ich.

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
Ya used a lot of big words I didn't understand lol.... These PB babies are prone to getting ICH so higher temps won't allow it correct ? And I added 1teaspoon of salt for every 10gals of water...

I usually keep my tanks at 81, but have it set 85 with these PB in the one 75g is that safe and ok ?

Redbellypiranha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 13, 2010
Colorado
Ya used a lot of big words I didn't understand lol.... These PB babies are prone to getting ICH so higher temps won't allow it correct ? And I added 1teaspoon of salt for every 10gals of water...

I usually keep my tanks at 81, but have it set 85 with these PB in the one 75g is that safe and ok ?
Yes. Many many water changes an high temps will keep them happy and healthy

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store