Hikari vs. NLS

Funky_Fish14

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
- To add to the topic:

Neil, Hikari produces not only a large line of dried food (like NLS has matched with), but they also produce a variety of frozen foods. Are there any plans for NLS to expand to frozen?

Thanks,

Chris

DISCIPLE

Candiru
MFK Member
THIS WENT FROM VERY GOOD AND INFORMATIVE TO.............MUD THROWING. SO MUCH FOR THE GOOD THREAD! GEEZ! WHY CANT SOMEONE STATE THERE OPINIONS W/O SOMEONE BEING A @SS ABOUT IT. IM NOT TAKING SIDES BUT I AM TAKING A STAND. THIS BICKERING BACK AND FORTH DOES NOTHING. THE PROOF IS IN THE PUDDING.....TRY FOR YOURSELF TO SEE WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. THERE I HOPE THAT SETTLES IT LOL YOU GUYS HAVE A GREAT DAY.

Cichlidfever

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Bowie, MD.
What is the full name of NLS? I am not sure that I have used that or not, what is NLS?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Chris ...... I'm fairly certain that a lot of discussions that involve controversial subjects will never end, Hikari vs NLS being only one of them. :)

The manufacturer of NLS has been asked a number of times about creating a line of frozen foods, but has no plans of doing so.

This is just my own personal opinion, but if one wants the best value in fresh/frozen products, your best bet is to make a trip to the local market.
Clams, mussels, squid, prawns, tilapia, silversides, walleye, pike, etc will get the job done, with the caveat of making sure to supplement with a well rounded liquid vitamin to ensure that certain vitamins & trace minerals aren't lacking. The key ones being vitamin C, B1 (many freshwater species contain thiaminase, which destroys B1, even when in a frozen state) and vitamin E, which is also largely broken down in flesh when frozen. More than you asked I know, but just thought I would toss that out there for those that feed large amounts of frozen.

NLS = New Life Spectrum

Funky_Fish14

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
Interesting note about the B1.

Are you suggesting there is a quality/nutritional difference between silversides at a market, or simply price-point?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Outside of a few products such as PE mysis, IMO you can get a FAR better bang for your buck buying at a local market, and in many cases, a much fresher product as well. Buy fresh, freeze for 48 hrs at 0F (-18C) to destroy any potential parasites, and use up within 30 days or so. Freezing will not destroy all micro-organisms, so there is still some risk involved in feeding frozen products, but freezing certainly minimizes those risks.

Freezing tends to also increase the concentration of thiaminase in tissue, so the shorter the duration in the freezer, the better. Little is known as to how thiaminase affects various species, and according to various studies the amounts found (even within the same species of fish) tend to vary as well. Most public aquariums tend to supplement to avoid deficiencies.

A good read on the subject.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_1/thiaminase.htm

and another

http://www.nagonline.net/Technical%20Papers/NAGFS00597Fish-JONIFEB24,2002MODIFIED.pdf

HTH

cchhcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA USA
I for one appreciate RD's continued efforts to promote NLS while slamming the mythology that gets thrown around in this game. I swear if "Massivore" were called "Averagevore" no one would feed it............especially guys who on a mission to find the baddest killer thug-fish!

I have spent quite a lot of time, effort, and money trying to find out the best way to feed my fish. From experience, I have found my best results come from feeding NLS nearly exclusively. Believe me, I spent quite a long time trying to disprove what I thought was primarily a very aggressive marketing campaign only to ultimately become a convert!

rED O

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
edmonto alberta
Hummmm... I started this same topic on AA and it started with good info and then got locked because of people arguing. Lets try and keep this clean so it does not get locked:)

I have tried NLS and Hikari. They are both very good. My fish like the oscars and arowana who prefer a more carnivorous diet, hikari food sticks and massivore pellets for the win :headbang2

My arowana will not even look at the NLS. The oscars love the 7.5 mm pellet but it seems to cloud the water quite a bit.

Over all they are both excellent pellets, if you are feeding things like africans and community fish I think NLS is the better choice. But Larger fish who like a more carnivorous diet, hikari is better in my books.

over all I like hikari

Hey Neil, I heard a rumor that NLS is making a pellet to compete with hikaris massivore diet. Is this true?

Clyde

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2007
New York
When you supplement the frozen foods with a liquid vitamin, what do you use? Something special for fish, or a liquid baby's vitamin from the pharmacy?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store