HLLE...

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Great mind sthink alike.. but i was over at my parents yesterday to feed and do more water changes... and they looked horrible.. so I made an executive decission.. and moved them into the 120 with the other guys. tbh I was amazed that the smallest was the same length as my smaller FLG but since they are so twig-like they looked nowhere enar as big as the other guys are... Now that tank is insanely overstocked atm, but the degradation was starting to circle their eyes. I left the TSN as he seems to be in much better shape to see how things go.. did a HUGE water change on ther 75.. ripped the filterfloss out and replaced it. I stuff it between the front and back filter plates. And fed the cuban 3 3"smelt...and crossed my fingers. either I took a chance on the cuban killing them or the HLLE killing them.. I plan on letting the tank run packed with floss and the TSN for the next week or so and moving them back if I feel all is well..

is there any test out there i can use to discover if the carbon is out compelately or is it as i think and just gotta cross my fingers on?

Dubeckyj

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2011
Canada
The only thing I can think of to test is a hilariously micky-mouse procedure:

1. Buy some new sand, and wash it out. Keep the dirty water.
2. Add the dirty water. Your TSN will probably love it.
3. When the filters clear out all the suspended sand particles and the water is clear again, it's a safe bet all the carbon is gone too.

I'd say within two weeks the entirety of the water should be passed through that filter floss enough to remove any residual carbon, but that's more of a wild guess than an estimation.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
INteresting test idea... maybe next time...

we've also been in mid-move with our tanks and had family visiting so we decided to move the 75... So it got a compleate over-haul and we also moved the TSN in with our hybrid in a diff tank so the 75 is running empty and essentially re-cycling... as we changed out EVERYTHING except the bio-wheels... gonna run it a week and see where its at.

So far everyones been getting along well and the LNGs don't seem to be getting any worse.. and no-one else seems to be getting it either ( a concern since like said, i do know metro has been used to treat it successfully in some cases and was aware it could spread)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store