HOB capacity

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Manufactured hobs don't cut it for big tanks in my opinion. For $110 you can build something far more superior. Buy a 4" pvc pipe and 2 end caps. Cut the pipe in half to make a moon shape. Put a barbed fitting onto one end cap and glue it to the pipe. Attach hose and place a drain on the other end. Done deal. Like having 3 gallons of media storage in a HOB for $25 not including the pump.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
sorry to disagree with the "hob's aren't very good " crowd....either your ammonia and nitrites are 0 or they are not...and that has absolutely nothing to do with how the water gets to the media ....an ac110 filter is nothing more than a sump that is prefabbed to fit the back of a tank(albeit smaller).....if you are worried about nitrates ...or water clarity .. that's a maintenance (w/c) issue ....:)

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
sorry to disagree with the "hob's aren't very good " crowd....either your ammonia and nitrites are 0 or they are not...and that has absolutely nothing to do with how the water gets to the media ....an ac110 filter is nothing more than a sump that is prefabbed to fit the back of a tank(albeit smaller).....if you are worried about nitrates ...or water clarity .. that's a maintenance (w/c) issue ....:)
I think it comes down to customization. That's one of the key reasons why people go to a sump to begin with. A diy HOB is just that. Customization with the clear benefits of a HOB

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
lol Man, that is so true! I love people who try to convince me (and others) that the bio media or filtration equipment I'm using is somehow inadequate even though my ammonia and nitrite are always at a solid zero.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
It's silly to think they don't do the job. They have been around for along time they are proven to work. However that doesn't mean they can't work better then they are manufactured for.

Aquafreak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
Just finished sorting the images, I'll going to post pictures and instructions in about 6 hours when I get to a computer.

The specs of my hob are, 2000lph flow and 2l media capacity

Sent from my SM-G900F using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Did I miss the instructions and pics?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
lol Man, that is so true! I love people who try to convince me (and others) that the bio media or filtration equipment I'm using is somehow inadequate even though my ammonia and nitrite are always at a solid zero.
that is all that matters..0 on the ammonia and nitrites = enough filtration....there are no exceptions in freshwater fishkeeping , don't let anybody tell you different

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
It's silly to think they don't do the job. They have been around for along time they are proven to work. However that doesn't mean they can't work better then they are manufactured for.

type of filtration is a matter of taste & preference ,,,,,I didn't mean to devalue your post, but it may have come off that way , I just was trying to refute one of the larger"myths" of fishkeeping(the sump is greater than canister ..canister.is greater than hob)...it gets ingrained in lots of us before we know any better ,and it isn't even close to being true

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
type of filtration is a matter of taste & preference ,,,,,I didn't mean to devalue your post, but it may have come off that way , I just was trying to refute one of the larger"myths" of fishkeeping(the sump is greater than canister ..canister.is greater than hob)...it gets ingrained in lots of us before we know any better ,and it isn't even close to being true
Agreed. But at the end of the day all 3 methods do there job. But you also have to look at ease of maintenence and other non water quality reasons of filtration.

I don't think I have ever heard someone say a sump or canister gets rid of ammonia or nitrite faster then another method of filtration.. However you can't fit your heater into most hob filters. These are some of the main reasons why the debate exists. I don't feel it has much to do with the effectiveness vs ammonia or nitrite

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I don't think I have ever heard someone say a sump or canister gets rid of ammonia or nitrite faster then another method of filtration.. However you can't fit your heater into most hob filters. These are some of the main reasons why the debate exists. I don't feel it has much to do with the effectiveness vs ammonia or nitrite
There are a lot of people out there that has the misconceived notion that by adding more bio media, there will be an increase in bb, regardless of bio-load....which equates to better bio-filtration.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store