Holy crap this guy built a giant cichlid aquarium

Hoop

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2009
Washington, D.C.
So this aquarium is definitely crazy, but what I really liked and want to do is keep live plants with my Oscars, Dempsey, Vieja and Lima. Currently I have them in a 180 and my Oscars always destroy my attempt at live plants...how big of a tank would I need for them to leave them alone?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
That is a beautiful tank! I need one.
I think it’s less about tank size and more about plant density and how well they are anchored down.

Reactions: tlindsey

Hoop

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2009
Washington, D.C.
That is a beautiful tank! I need one.
I think it’s less about tank size and more about plant density and how well they are anchored down.
That is a good point, I think I remember the guy in the video saying the plants in the back were in pond baskets or something. I think baskets are too big for my 180 but maybe I should try the water sprite plant he is using, maybe harder for Oscars to grab it. I have always tried with amazon sword plants and they always uproot them.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I think anubias is good, as long as they leave it alone until it can root.

Hoop

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2009
Washington, D.C.
I think anubias is good, as long as they leave it alone until it can root.
Yeah, I have had success attaching anubias and java fern to wood, but I really liked how in the video there were plants rooted into the substrate. I think it really gives the tank a more natural look. I think I will try some rooted plants again, but something different than a sword plant and see if my oscars will not try to drag them around the tank.. lol

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I wouldn’t ask me, I’ve never really tried plants with cichlids. I’d imagine it would probably depend on how well you secure it. It also depends on how strong cabomba is. If you have some extra on hand, I’d say go for it.

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
I wouldn’t put camboda with a Oscar, it’s delicate and my cichlids(acaras) would tear it apart easily or uproot it. Maybe try hornwort since it doesn’t grow roots, floats around, and grows fast.

Hoop

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2009
Washington, D.C.
OK, I think I will just try out a couple different options and see if any of them stick. Won't cost much to buy 1 each of Cabomba, Hornwort and Val for an experiment.

Reactions: Deadeye

Hoop

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2009
Washington, D.C.
I wouldn’t put camboda with a Oscar, it’s delicate and my cichlids(acaras) would tear it apart easily or uproot it. Maybe try hornwort since it doesn’t grow roots, floats around, and grows fast.
Oops saw your post after my last reply....yeah if an Acara is tearing up Cabomba than I am sure an Oscar will. Guess I will try Hornwort and maybe a couple of different Jungle Val type plants.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store