Home water filtration

Tramonte172

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2010
My fish room
I use Big Berkey water filter. It is simple and incredibly effective.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
my brother has had some huge tank for quite a few years now. every time he moves he hires a welder to hook it up to his water lines

I believe it's a water softener. do they have anything I can hook up to my intestines? it'll be my stool softener

anyways, I was gonna make a thread a couple weeks ago asking about water filters. what's the best one you guys have experience with. is it worth it to buy one attached to the faucet or is those pitcher type filters good enough? I seriously need to stop buying bottled water

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
is it worth it to buy one attached to the faucet or is those pitcher type filters good enough? I seriously need to stop buying bottled water
Those purifier that attaches to the faucet does a decent job at filtering out a lot of bad stuff but with an R/O system you get like nearly pure water. Also with an R/O system you'll need space for a holding tank for the clean,filtered water. There's typically 2-3 prefilters that is recommended to be replaced annually and a single R/O membrane that needs to be replaced about every 8 years or so. They sell a cheap digital device that tests for TDS to see when your membrane needs replacing. After a couple of years of lugging around water bottles, I absolutely love my R/O......8 years running.

Here's what I got http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/ro-45-detail.htm

Tramonte172

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2010
My fish room
R/O filters are great but can be costly and complicated. The Berkey will filter out anything, even food coloring (I had to try it to see if it really could). They are priced well on Amazon.

http://www.bigberkeywaterfilters.com/

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
The Berkey will filter out anything
Well...no, it doesn't. The website you linked even states that it "leaves the beneficial minerals in the water", meaning it is designed to filter particulates/molecules up to a certain size.

administrator

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2011
I have a whole house water filtration system. Without it, I can smell the chlorine in the water when taking a shower or washing my face. Be sure to do your research before buying. Some of the largest companies selling these units are junk while others are great. I also like the fact that I don't have to use any water conditioners when doing a W/C.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
We drink water like crazy and since I got back into the hobby it got ke thinking about whats in my water.....it isn't good for my fish but ok for my kids ? Lol. I drink about a gallon a day myself. Buying water for my family is just not feasible we would go through it like crazy... gonna look into the Berkley link.
I guess I could put one right on the kitchen sink but would need to constantly change it. Ro system would be allot of wasted water right ?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Good point on the fish and kids and I'll be looking into a whole house filter system.

Tramonte172

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2010
My fish room
Well...no, it doesn't. The website you linked even states that it "leaves the beneficial minerals in the water", meaning it is designed to filter particulates/molecules up to a certain size.
Good point. I use the optional fluoride filters with mine. I used to drink tap water, now it tastes terrible to me. I even take the Berkey on vacation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store