Homemade stand

MossOnGrass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2005
your stand is real cool , I would like to do it with my two tanks the only problem is I have a 72 bowfront to go under my 125 Im pretty good with my hands just the math part is what i hate ....if you can design it ,I can build it

mbierzyc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
uk
the way i planned mine was to have the 29gallon appear to be just a glass panel below the 75gallon tank, none of the black is shown, and the glass is nearly flush with the front.

with a bowfront tank, that won't be possible.

I'm not sure of the dimensions of a 72bowfront vs a 125, but if the 125 is much deeper, you could just build the stand deep enough for the 125, and then the outermost point of your 125 can be flush with the front of your stand, and the rest of it could be set back in your stand a little.

I think the whole thing would work much better with a flat front tank really.

unless you want to nearly steal my design, and have access to a jigsaw.

cause here's an idea, have the back and side walls of your stand flat, but then cut the top for your stand to a size that will fit the 125gal tank, but then in the front of it, you'll have to have it come out in the style of the bowfront tank. then you can use 1x6" like i did, so you won't really have to bend any wood, and make the entire front of the stand bowed in the same way as your 72gal tank?

make sense?

i'll draw a quick sketch then upload it here

mbierzyc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
uk
alright here are a few quick sketches. get back at me directly with any questions.

the one thing that i would have to think of more is how to build something to anchor the 1x6's to. There would have to be something with the bow shape built into the top and bottom frame. could be a flat board, but has to be thick enough to nail into.

on the far right of my drawing i show how i made my top and bottom frame, and the circled areas are where i would put my vertical support beam, i would put the beams in place so that they cover both the horizontal and vertical boards below them.

mossongrass-002.jpg

Waldo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2005
Spokane WA
Mind you will have to have your tank on a stand from the manufacturer to keep the guarentee valid on the tank. I'd trust an expert craftsman though.

mbierzyc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
uk
i just did some aquascaping to the 75 this afternoon, the water still has to settle, i built a diy undergravel filter for the tank (i know many people don't like them, but it suits my purpose very well.)

I may move some of the plants a little, but I think once the water clears up it should look pretty nice.

sept19_05-008smaller.jpg

jenBLKAROWANA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Looks great!!!
Jen

lizardfishman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Oregon
what are you gona put in the bottom tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store