hood for a 2.5 gallon.

danepatrick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
louisiana, usa
i'm in search of a 2.5 gallon hood or some kind of covering for it. the demensions are 12x6x8. all-glass doesn't make them and i can't seem to find them anywhere on the net. if you guys know where i can find one, pleeeeeeeeeeease let me know. :thumbsup:

danepatrick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
louisiana, usa
sqratch said:
you could always try make one yourself. Check the DIY section for ideas and help
thanks. but if anyone else knows anything.... HOLLAAAAAA :ROFL: AAAA. lol.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
You could try to contact Marineland Eclipse Systems, they make a 3g hood and filter combo but it is sold with the tank ($39 @ BigAl's), or the Coralife light hoods (mini-migt and mini-light) that are between $25-$39 each.
If you are handy check home improvement centers for hard plastic storage containers of that size and mount a mini-flourescent dest light on it, Probably cost near $20 to do. Or go through Petsmart and buy an incandescant lihgt for $6.99 and get a piece of glass to cover the tank and set the light on, it is designed for 2 1/2g tanks. http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...27068&itemNo=23&Nao=12&In=Fish&N=2030061&Ne=2

scottchristian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2005
las vegas, NV
i cut this sweet lid for my ten out of 1/4" glass, notched a little half radius for the filters, and heater. then my wife came home with a black plastic light/lid deal and my fancy all glass one sits in the garage. since im assuming you may not have ever cutglass you could take the exact dimensions and layout to a glass shop and im sure they would make one for you. thats if you cannot find one that is already manufactured for your tank.. good luck :)

Casey Norris

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
Oklahoma
I’m having the same problem. Currently I’m just using the press and seal saran wrap but I am considering going and buying some lexan and just cutting my own out . Lexan is a clear plastic that comes in sheets in all sorts of thicknesses and it can be cut with any old power saw. You could also make a feeding hatch by buying cheep hinges and drilling holes. Lexan is much more forgiving than glass and in my experience it is cheaper. You should be able to find it in a hardware store. If youdo find an already manufactured hood for your tank you should let me know, it would make my beta very happy.

Aquayne

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2006
Logan, WV
I have made some using a small sections of plastic rain gutter. You will find that the end caps fit the tank well and cover the top well. I put a light socket through one of the endcaps and use a compact fluorescent screw in bulb from wal*Mart.
Make sure you seal everything with silicone.

Wayne

Aquayne

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2006
Logan, WV
I found that over time, the plastic gets discolared from heat. I glue a piece of "tin" on the top. If you drill holes in the top, then make spacers out of pennies so that heat can rise up and out of the top.

Wayne

Aquayne

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2006
Logan, WV
Be careful when drilling the plastic. It is brittle and any binding of the bit will cause it to break the rain gutter. The good news is the gutter comes in 10' sections.

Wayne

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store