Housing alligator gar with oscar

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Gator gars are in a whole class of their own. Floridas are way more passive and will actually most likely due to the cichlids in there. Gators are the exact opposite. They're true monsters.
exactly. gators are a completely different type of fish than other members of their family; do some research in other threads here and even generally online...plenty of info available showing that there is no equal comparison between gators and LNG/FLG--
--solomon

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
exactly. gators are a completely different type of fish than other members of their family; do some research in other threads here and even generally online...plenty of info available showing that there is no equal comparison between gators and LNG/FLG--
--solomon
I found most old gar are more calm and less aggressive than young gar, and because Gator take a longer time to mature do they retain their aggressiveness longer?
BTW about info, you haven't update any info on you site(http://lepisosteidae.net/) yet and i remember you told us back in December lat year that you will do it after you get the Doctoral degree:grinyes:!

cogs

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2008
australia
My gator gar eats 12' fish and i just put a 16' dovii in the pond and i'm worried about it gator gars are true weapons

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
My Oscar attacked my Florida... had to be moved once he started maturing. Tried again with pike cichlids... once they matured fins started to get shedded. ... The only time this combo works ime ( I had a friend who kept gar and Oscars in a 125 for years..) Is when the fish are so packed in and stressed ( think african cichlid type set-up) That nobody starts anything because they don't know whats going on. imo not a way to live... like already stated toss in gators ( I don't have that kinda room so no way would I own one) and your on a whole new level of aggressiveness. I know my Cuban would mess up an Oscar if its tarted picking on him... and to me its not worth that kinda chance. Ive had a few "odd" set-ups that worked. But thats because special care was taken to see everyones needs met. You can't predict aggression.

stockfool

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2012
East Tennessee
Depends on size of tank and other factors. Ask PTC, if you have a large enough tank (he keeps Red Devils with pimas and the RDs breed) then anything can go. Usually, however, it is not a good idea. Alligator gars are apex predators and if you have anywhere near the tank size to grow one out, the gar will either eat the Oscar or the gar will be bullied to death (less than 16"). Now if you have and "ecosystem" size tank or you move them regularly you may make it. I will not say no because people do tat too often without understanding the tank/community/situation, but with most people this would not work long term.

Anchovie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
Jersey Shore
I kept 2 spotted gar in the same tank with a RTC and 2 adult oscars. Had it setup like that for a little over a year before a certain RTC started eating all his tank mates. But the oscars and gar always got along great.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

AMD1128

Feeder Fish
Mar 24, 2023
I have 3 gar in a tank with a mature male Oscar for a long while now and have no issues

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store