How bad is Anti Fungus Silicone?

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
So it's kinda difficult to find an aquarium safe silicone where I live. We don't have GE or DAP or any of that stuff. I've used Bison's silicone before since it's the only aquarium safe one (it had aquarium safe written on the back) but I can't find it anymore. All the other stuff have anti fungal in them, or doesn't say 100% silicone so I'm assuming they have.

So the question is how bad are these anti fungal chemicals? And is there a way to deplete them after the silicone cures?

I'm kinda stuck, we have some brands that you might not be familiar in the US or in North America in general like Pattex and Soudal (but no silirub aq).

We also have a Kuwaiti brand, the good thing is that they make silicone in many colors, but it says "Anti-Fungus" in big letters. Here's a link, it's the K seal one. http://www.albahar-industries.com/sealant.html

So what should I chose? Some local people claim they have used the k seal with no issues, but I'm hesitant. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated, Thanks!

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I would try Amazon and I would order there. If not, with some extra expense, you can probably get a large chain supplier from the US, Europe, etc. to ship you some. I order internationally from time to time and it's now very common for people to do. You can probably do it online at their website.

Some things for me (like books) aren't in the US or are cheaper abroad. So I go there.

I would not intentionally use any silicone that had an anti fungal component. It's really considered to be that bad. People use it accidentally and only find out when fish start dying.

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So it's kinda difficult to find an aquarium safe silicone where I live. We don't have GE or DAP or any of that stuff. I've used Bison's silicone before since it's the only aquarium safe one (it had aquarium safe written on the back) but I can't find it anymore. All the other stuff have anti fungal in them, or doesn't say 100% silicone so I'm assuming they have.

So the question is how bad are these anti fungal chemicals? And is there a way to deplete them after the silicone cures?

I'm kinda stuck, we have some brands that you might not be familiar in the US or in North America in general like Pattex and Soudal (but no silirub aq).

We also have a Kuwaiti brand, the good thing is that they make silicone in many colors, but it says "Anti-Fungus" in big letters. Here's a link, it's the K seal one. http://www.albahar-industries.com/sealant.html

So what should I chose? Some local people claim they have used the k seal with no issues, but I'm hesitant. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated, Thanks!

I personally would not risk it.

Zanson

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2017
I used silicon ii from ge once... RiP my fish.

GE Silicon I is the one you need to use. Generally a white and blue bottle. Not the red.

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
I used silicon ii from ge once... RiP my fish.

GE Silicon I is the one you need to use. Generally a white and blue bottle. Not the red.
Sorry for your loss, what were the fish?
We don't have GE here. That's the problem

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
I would try Amazon and I would order there. If not, with some extra expense, you can probably get a large chain supplier from the US, Europe, etc. to ship you some. I order internationally from time to time and it's now very common for people to do. You can probably do it online at their website.

Some things for me (like books) aren't in the US or are cheaper abroad. So I go there.

I would not intentionally use any silicone that had an anti fungal component. It's really considered to be that bad. People use it accidentally and only find out when fish start dying.
I would do it if the shipping didn't take 6 years. Also shipping to Kuwait is ridiculously expensive.

I've found one in a dive/boat supply that has the words "aquarium safe" and "anti fungal", how weird is that? or maybe there are a few types of fungicides and some are safe for fish? Who knows.
I'll try to shop around more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store