how big is too big of a tank on a main floor ?

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
oh ya trust me i thought about just getting a 180g since it has the same foot print BUT reason im wanting a 220g is the height i REALLY like especially since im housing peacock bass, arowana's, florida gar, ornate bichir, ID datnoid (top surface guys, middle guys and bottom guys... i saw a 220g and he had similar setup fish wise and loved how everyone had there own level persay rather then everyone in the centre of a 24" tall tank... ya wouldnt think 6" taller makes that much of a difference but it most certianly did in his tankand his fish were effin huge !! (3 aro's 26"/15"/11", 16-18" jag, 12" oscar, 10" dat etc etc)

here is a quick drawing i did in paint to show you guys what is a outside wall, and what way the joist seem to run in my furnace room which ideally SHOULD be the same way through out the entire house, ok i just went down and measured the joist and how far apart they are and the joist measure 2x9, so guessing there 2x10's and they are 16" centred.... now as for a the next support under the floor im unsure of where they attach to under my floor from the outside wall as the basement is all finished (except the storage/furnace room)

floor setup.png

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
Make a fish room in the basement with all three! Then you"ll go down their and have your own space.lol .

I was a code enforcement officer for all systems up to three story building. 16inch on center floor joist means very little until we know the dimensions of the joint ie 2x6, 2x8 etc. Then I would have to know the span. The length of the joists until there is another support. Then I would need to know the thickness of the floor plywood and weather it is two apposing layers or one with your flooring over it. You see code is the minimum to hold a normal static load and this varies from state to state. Fish tanks are not static in an earthquake they are a live load. With this info I could give you a bit of advice. Without this info everyone would be guessing and taking on a liability. A 220 gallon tank swaying is a great deal more pressure on a structure then one would think. As it sits it would only be about 1lb per square inch of floor surface which does not seem like a lot. but when it starts moving all the weight shifts from one side to another increasing the weight to a live weight to over 7000 lbs on one end then the other and back etc. This is where structures run into problems. 3+ inch concrete is always better when over 150 gallons.
+1

Pbass265

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2012
cincinnati
I’m not saying you can or can’t but I have a 265 on my main floor in the corner perpendicular to my joists and am fine with no sagging and a 125 right across from it on the same joists which are resting under a support beam. I think this is something a lot of people over think, but I know there are people out there that have had problems. I would think that as long as it is perpendicular and near an exterior wall you should be fine. I also have 2*8 joists in an unfinished basement so I can see how everything is laid out.

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
I’m not saying you can or can’t but I have a 265 on my main floor in the corner perpendicular to my joists and am fine with no sagging and a 125 right across from it on the same joists which are resting under a support beam. I think this is something a lot of people over think, but I know there are people out there that have had problems. I would think that as long as it is perpendicular and near an exterior wall you should be fine. I also have 2*8 joists in an unfinished basement so I can see how everything is laid out.
ya i almost wish the basement wasnt completly finished just for reason's like this as well as being able to get a slow drip system attached to it and add a drain off the tank for waterchanges lol .... ya im unsure of were the next support beam is from the outside wall here, i looked in the furnace/storage room to see if i could see a support beam on the side of the room cloest to the outside wall where my tanks are but cant see anything with all the heat/ac ducting everywhere, BUT i see one on the other side of the room but tht doesnt help me at all .... hahaha

Divinehammer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2012
Sherwood park Alberta Canada
I am running 4 tanks on my main floor, 90,55,56,240. The 240 sits across my 2x10" joices 16" on center the wall right behind it is a load bearing wall, a good rule of thumb is if you have a wall in the same part of the basement as on your main floor you almost guaranty it's load bearing, my basement is unfinished my 90, and 55 both sit on an outside wall running the same way as my joices, but are between the foundation wall and the floor supports, I have no sagging or warping going on anywhere in my town house, I checked before and after with a level to be sure, I have had it like this for over a year and had no movement at all.

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
well my basement has the EXACT same layout as my upstairs.... like the outside where my tanks are upstairs there is the exact same thing in my basement my basement and upstairs are basically the exact same layout

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store