How big of a tank would I need, before I should consider a sump

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I would do a sump on anything 180 or bigger but that does not mean you can't do one on a 125....depending on stock one or two FX6 will do. Its really personal prefrence. As long as you are supporting enough beneficial bacteria you need for the bio load you have all is fine.

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

StIcKy~RiCe

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 24, 2005
~ Laos ~
You can do sump as small as 75g..they have made sump for smaller tanks.
about sump
con: small sump for small tank, big sump for big tank
pos: best bio filter you can get, easy to clean

Im a bigger fan of canister filters. Rather what size canister filter you have, you can use for small to large tank. For sample if you have Fx6 you can still use for 75g..and up. I know it over kill for 75g but there is a flow valves you can adjust.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
You can put a sump on any tank you want. I wouldn't hesitate to have one on your 125. I had a 10 gal sump under my 29 gal aquarium at one time. Long story short, I sucked at plumbing my DIY overflow and it flooded in my basement, so I switched back to a canister until I can get a better overflow worked out. I am also using a 55 gal sump for my 220 that I am currently getting set up.

I would definitely recommend a sump for your 125 though. You can probably find a cheap used 55 and use it. Baffles are optional, but I like to have them. I used them to create a refugium in my tank that will house some critters.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are "no" rules on what size tank can use a sump.
I have had 20 gal tanks, on 50 gallon sumps (usually three or four 20 gals in line on the same sump). In that way you can use 1 large pump, 1 heater etc and have the line split for many tanks, instead of buying 4 filers or 4 heaters.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
As others have mentioned, no real rules as to what is the minimum size before you can/should consider a sump. I'd say get the biggest size you can fit within your arrangement. You can also potentially use if you upgrade the tank later as well. If I look back at prior posts, I think most folks wished they would have gone to sump sooner rather than later.

I think generally speaking it takes a little more time/effort to set-up a sump, vs. canister, IMO. But done right for your situation, there's good benefits such as maintenance effort, keeping gear n the sump.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I think that you go with a canister filter, and you don't do a sump until you have a reason to do so. that reason ends up being money.

so for a 125 gallon, you can do a canister for $500 or less. For a $250, you'd need 2-3 of those canisters. You don't want to pay $1000 - $1500 on canisters, so you build a sump for $200-$300.

I have a 540 gallon, no WAY I was gonna put multiple canisters on that tank, and keep adding them until I got clean water--where would it stop? I might end up with 5 canisters on a tank that big. Where would I put 2 heaters? So I built a sump.

It's a money thing. Although, it does have other advantages, too -- nothing in the display tank. I have fish in that tank now that would mess up heaters, and thermometers, etc.

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Like David said, I love that there is nothing in my tank. And now that I have some floating plants strategically placed, I can't even see my drain and returns unless I look hard for them. Having the heaters in the sump is really nice.

Also, I recommend painting the back of the tank black to hide the tubes. Looks so good (IMHO).

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with Ragin-cagin about sumps (in the end) costing way less than a comparable canister, and for me, the ease of maintenance of a sump compared to a canister is even more of a plus.
But I must admit I don't think any of my sumps ran close to $300. I usually pick up a used 50 gal on Craigs list for $5-$10, get a pump for $100, and $20 of PVC for the home center. A drill bit to put hole in tanks was about $40, but I drilled at least 10 tanks with it, so using a PVC elbow or trap for an overflow is very economical compared to commercial overflow boxes.

Reactions: Ihsnshaik
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store