How big should my poly be to be with a Lima?

Oddballhunter12

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2023
So in previous posts I’ve brought up that I have a Sengal bichir that I’m raising for my larger cichlid aquarium that features a Lima catfish, sevrum, flag cichlid, pike charicins, and sailfin catfish I’ve been worried that the lima may try to swallow the bichir if it’s too small but I don’t really know how big he should be before transfer since I’m not super keen on keeping him in his current tank fearing that I may stunt him if I take too long. The Lima is no larger than 7 inches max and is relatively layer back but he’s eaten Fully grown gold barbs so I’m kinda worried about putting my bichir in their. he’s around 3-4 inches by now not including the long tail so what do think should I wait a little longer till he’s larger or should I introduce him now?

IMG_9903.jpeg

71573702812__F462A69C-CE7C-4077-8D0D-6D666EC2DD30.jpeg

Oddballhunter12

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2023
Thanks for the advice maybe I’ll move him to one of my calmer tanks. Though Could I ask what a turkana sengal bichir is I haven’t heard of it before and I’m quite interested

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Thanks for the advice maybe I’ll move him to one of my calmer tanks. Though Could I ask what a turkana sengal bichir is I haven’t heard of it before and I’m quite interested
A Turkana senegal bichir is a senegal bichir from lake Turkana. I’m not sure why but the senegals and pbb’s in Turkana grow larger than normal. It’s common for Turkana senegals to hit 12” and keep going a bit.

Reactions: tlindsey

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
A Turkana senegal bichir is a senegal bichir from lake Turkana. I’m not sure why but the senegals and pbb’s in Turkana grow larger than normal. It’s common for Turkana senegals to hit 12” and keep going a bit.
“Lake turkana” bichirs grow thicker and longer compared to normal bichirs, as lake turkana where they are found, have much greater depths than which WC bichirs are usually found at, so they are built bigger to withstand the higher pressure. If I’m not wrong and I remember correctly, the depth of lake turkana where the pbb and Senegal bichirs are found can reach up to depths of 4-6m.

I think the largest “lake turkana Senegal” I have seen before reached 18” in length. Hao has one at 16”, it is in one of his threads.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store